1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 10:56 AM by Alex Champion

Visiting the National Archives

Kayla Halberg Newbie

I recently submitted a question through the National Archives website regarding materials related to Dry Dock 1, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Norfolk, VA. I am currently planning a research trip during mid-august, however, I was informed that the response may take up to three weeks. Will I be able to access records on site when I arrive, or do I need to request specific items ahead of time?

Thanks!

Kayla

• Re: Visiting the National Archives
          Alex Champion Adventurer

Hello Kayla,

Thank you for using History Hub. You do not need to request specific items in advance. In fact it is National Archives policy to only pull records for researchers who are present. Writing ahead of time, as you did already, and beginning your research journey with leads or citations in hand gives you a head start but may also save you a trip.

These leads are especially important if your records are elsewhere. Pertinent records could be in several places for a combination of reasons relating to the time period you’re researching and the record group. If the records are security classified, you may not be able to view them in a timely fashion if at all. Some possible Record Groups are RG 71, Records of the Bureau of Yards and Docks; RG 80, General Records of the Department of the Navy, 1798-1947; RG 19, Records of the Bureau of Ships; and RG 38, Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, to name a few.

We hope you find what you’re looking for!

3 of 3 people found this helpful