1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 8:18 AM by Amanda Pritchard

pre 1800 immigration from Ireland

Terri Curry Newbie

Hello

I'm looking for information about my McFann family ancestors from the late 1700's.  The person I know the most about is Andrew Jac McFann, b. .7/7/1832 d.  2/15/1913 in Lawrence County Ohio, per find a grave dot com.  One website I found that is dedicated to the McFann family history  led me to believe his father and grandfather are both named David McFann.  I would like to find out when the McFann's came to the USA and from where.  Could you suggest some places I could search, or tips on my next steps? 

Thank you

• Re: pre 1800 immigration from Ireland
          Amanda Pritchard Adventurer

Dear Ms. Curry,

Thank you for contacting History Hub!

Based on the information provided, we suggest you look at websites such as FamilySearch and Ancestry to get started for birth, marriage, death, and census records to help piece together a timeline for Andrew J. McFann.

Just a quick search of FamilySearch has let me to a marriage record of Andrew Jackson McFann and Margaret Ann Munyon for 18 Dec 1853 in Scioto County, Ohio (there is a copy of it on FamilySearch which is available for free). We also suggest that you order a copy of his death certificate through the Ohio History Connection which could provide additional information about his life.

Once you have exhausted those resources, we suggest you check out local historical societies for the area in which he lived. They may be able to provide you with additional resources such as probate or land records. FamilySearch has wonderful wiki pages for local areas that identify where to find various types of records and what repositories are in the area such as for Scioto County, OH.

Once you are able to find more information about Andrew J. McFann and his ancestors, then we can better assist you with finding immigration records from Ireland.

Best of luck in your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful