1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 2:24 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

How do I go about obtaining copies of service records of deceased family members who had no children?

Peter Weir Newbie

I'm new to the community and this forum so am unfamiliar with the posting procedures. As such this may be redundant but the question I had was whether I can obtain the service records for my uncles who served in World War 2. There were six total, all are deceased as are their wives and three had no children.

Also, two were in the Merchant Marines prior to the war and are the records of their time in that service available?

• Re: How do I go about obtaining copies of service records of deceased family members who had no children?
          Research Services at the National Archives Tracker

Hello Mr. Weir,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

You may be able to request Army, Army Air Corps, Navy, and Marine Corps Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) from the National Archives in St. Louis depending on when they were discharged from service.  These records are releasable to the public when the date of separation becomes 62 years from today’s date. We recommend contacting the St. Louis location to make an inquiry.

National Archives and Records Administration

National Archives at St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

PO Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

Also, we recommend searching the National Archives Access to Archival Database to gather more information on members who served in the Army during WWII.

The WWII Merchant Marine records are held by the Coast Guard.  Please contact: 

Commanding Officer

USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421)

ATTN: Correspondence Section

100 Forbes Drive

Martinsburg, WV 25404

We hope this information is useful and best of luck with your research!

Holly Rivet

1 of 1 people found this helpful