2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 12:24 PM by Peter Greulich

Is there enough information provided in these references to find the material in the National Archives?

Peter Greulich Newbie

This is my first time posting here, so just point me a different direction if applicable.

The following information was provided by an author. Is there enough provided to actually find this referenced material?

(1) Press Release, ICC, October 22, 1937, NA RG 59

(2) Letter, Decker to Taylor, May 26, 1939, Department of Justice, War Division, Economic Warfare Section, NA RG 60

(3) Chevalerie to J.T. Wilson, August 4, 1939, Department of Justice, War Division, Economic Warfare Section, NA RG 60.

Thanks

- Pete

• Re: Is there enough information provided in these references to find the material in the National Archives?
          Jason Atkinson Wayfarer

The short answer is that it may be possible, but those citations present some challenges as they leave out information that we would ideally have.  See here for the guidance NARA gives on citing records in our holdings.  https://www.archives.gov/files/publications/general-info-leaflets/17-citing-records.pdf

However if that is all you have, I would encourage trying anyway. 

In regard to (1):  It is unclear what "ICC" means in this context.  If it refers to the Interstate Commerce Commission, you might have better luck checking Record Group 134 Records of the Interstate Commerce Commission [ICC].  Here is a listing of all series in RG 134 at the National Archives at College Park (Archives II).

In regard to your numbers (2) and (3):  The dates given for the latter two documents are interesting given that NARA's authority files indicate that the Economic Warfare Section was first formed at the Economic Warfare Unit in 1942. 

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/10450062

There are three series listed in the Catalog associated with the Economic Warfare Section and its predecessor the Economic Warfare Unit.  Both have inclusive start dates postdating 1939.  However it is conceivable that there may have been some copies of documents from 1939 were which included as reference material with the latter documents.

Subject Files, 1942 - 1945

From RG: 60

National Archives Identifier: 22476426 HMS Entry Number(s): A1 293-C

Creator: Department of Justice. War Division. Economic Warfare Section. 8/28/1943-6/30/1945

Subject Files, 1942 - 1945

National Archives Identifier: 609778 HMS Entry Number(s): A1 293B

Creator: Department of Justice. War Division. Economic Warfare Section. 8/28/1943-6/30/1945

Central Correspondence File, 6/17/1940 - 5/26/1944

National Archives Identifier: 609556 HMS Entry Number(s): A1 293-A

Creators: Department of Justice. War Division. Economic Warfare Section. 8/28/1943-6/30/1945; Department of Justice. Antitrust Division. ca. 1925-

The point of contact listed for all of these records is Archives2reference@nara.gov.  If you email them with your citations they might be able to turn up something, or at the very least given more detailed and thorough recommendations about these and other record series which might be responsive to your inquiry. 

If the citation can be linked to some specific information in the book (such as a description of a document, event, or activity) it may be helpful to provide that information to the reference archivists as well.  It would also help the reference archivists if they knew what your research topic is or just what questions you are trying to answer, as they may be able to recommend records beyond the three citations you give that could be relevant to your research.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: Is there enough information provided in these references to find the material in the National Archives?
              Peter Greulich Newbie

Jason, thanks for the wonderful reply. No need to comment further. I am just adding more information in case others find it helpful or informative.

My purpose is to actually research and verify references provided in a book I am studying. It seems that too many books are published now with references that, when you scratch the surface, fall apart under scrutiny. It is probably a symptom of the fact that we just don't have the time to research references and we assume that an author is playing fair with the information. (your comment above about the dates of the Economic Warfare Section ring all too true as I have been finding inaccurate years in several references - usually the information is actually there, but in one case the author provided 1935 as the year and it was actually 1933. Fortunately, it was an electronic search, not a paper search to find the information. I can't imagine trying to dig through dusty boxes trying to find the information when the timing is off by two years.)

I guess I could get upset that the references in the book don't provide enough information but after being at both the College Park location and the Library of Congress the last few years, I am just now learning how important it is to file information properly so that you can create a reference later that can easily be found by a fellow researcher. Since I am just now starting a two to three year project, this is a good time for me to review your link above about proper citations of material. Thank you for providing the link.

In this case I sure don't want to do what this author has done to me. I guess the reverse of the Golden Rule, eh?

• The ICC above refers to the International Chamber of Commerce. It appears most of this information is at the Hagley Library not the National Archives, so I may be able to find it at either place - if I dig for a while.

Again, thank you. I should be in the College Park location again in September. I will be sending off notes this week concerning other research. I am surely going to be more careful in capturing the citation information and practicing getting it right.

Cheers,

- Pete

1 of 1 people found this helpful