11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2018 9:29 AM by Barbara Grossman

1st Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry 1st (Carter's), Confederate Tennessee Troops

Barbara Grossman Newbie

I'm doing Civil War genealogical research for a friend -- Any information on the service of the Keith brothers of Rhea County.

I've found (on Fold3) a general index card, number 6413, dated 30 April 1862, for "Keith - Jno" [John?], "3rd Bat. Tenn Cav'y" directing me to "See Manuscript No. 1686."  Any idea where to find said manuscript?  More specifically, she is hoping to find information on the brother of John H. Keith, one Timothy S. Keith, both of Rhea County, TN.  There are family stories stating Timothy was killed (as a Confederate soldier) and others stating he deserted.  So far, we've found no absolute confirmation for either, and, of course, the stories are not mutually exclusive. 

The next pair of cards (in alphabetical sequence) is for one Keith, no given name, a private, Company C, 1 Cav (Carter's), 3 Batt'n, Tennessee.  It appears to be a Regimental Return, June 1862; Pvt. Keith had been absent without leave since May 1.  It's unclear whether the proximity to the card for John Keith is merely a matter of alphabetization or whether there may be some additional significance.

Any information on how/where to track down that "Manuscript No. 1686"will be greatly appreciated.  Any information on the service of Timothy S. Keith of Rhea County would also be welcome.  Thank you.