1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 5, 2018 2:48 PM by Amanda Pritchard

    correct name for correct ancestor from index card naturalization papers


      hello and good day to everyone - hubby's 2x g gf immigrated to US in 1865 and per census he was naturalized in 1878 - during that time he has been in military and retired 1893 - his name is so common that i am not sure if i have found the right record for the right ancestor - if i have an image of a naturalization index card from kings county NY Oct 1878, how will i know this is the right ancestor?  his name is George Williams, no middle name and no middle initial - i do have his 1st wife name (from his military records) when he was naturalized, will that help? will i need to contact kings county for his petition or naturalization? maybe when he was first honorable discharged (he was honorably discharged a few times) he would be naturalized already? i hope to find his parents's names and his place of birth - please advise and thank you so much

        • Re: correct name for correct ancestor from index card naturalization papers
          Amanda Pritchard Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Mil,


          Thank you for contacting History Hub!


          In order to figure out if the index card is for your husband’s ancestor, you will need to view the actual naturalization records. The indexes usually only contain the bare minimum of information. We suggest you contact the National Archives at New York City since your husband’s ancestor was naturalized in New York City. They have naturalization records in their holdings for New York City for the 19th and 20th centuries. Their email is newyork.archives@nara.gov and their telephone number is 212-401-1620. We suggest that you provide a copy of the index card and information on where you found it in your request in order for the staff to better assist you.


          Best of luck in your research!