2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 9:27 AM by Patricia Huizinga

Birth Certificate - Medical Record?

Patricia Huizinga Newbie

My daughter was born in Naval Hospital Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, which no longer exists.  We need to find a copy of her birth certificate - the official one from the hospital.  We were also given a copy of a birth document issued by PR, but were told at the hospital that it was not considered official.

Are birth certificates from shut down military hospitals available from this site? If so, do I request it like it's a medical record and use NA Form 13036?

Thank you.

Trish Huizinga

• Re: Birth Certificate - Medical Record?
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Ms. Huizinga,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you or your husband were in the military at the time of your daughter’s birth, there may be a birth certificate or information that can be used to obtain one in her medical treatment folder. Medical Treatment Folders (clinical or inpatient, outpatient, dental records, and individual consultation service case files) of dependents of military personnel, civilian employees, American Red Cross personnel, and U.S. Merchant Marines, treated at military medical facilities are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please complete and mail a GSA Form 180 to request these records.

We hope this information is helpful.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Birth Certificate - Medical Record?
              Patricia Huizinga Newbie

Ma. Collier,

Thanks for taking the time.

I was serving in the Navy at the time of my daughter's birth.  I've since retired.  When I reviewed the GSA Form 180 the focus seemed to be on the member vice the family members.  It appears that this form allows me to request MY medical records.

How can I switch that request around for HER records on that form?

Thanks again.

Trish Huizinga