2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 10:56 AM by Lee Eltzroth

I'm looking for information on husbands grandfather who retired from army and lived in Panama in 1920s and early 1930s?

Lauren HARTMANN Newbie

Discovered that husbands grandfather was retired from army and lived in Panama in 1920s and early 1930s. Married grandmother from Colombia ...trying to find resources to locate information the time and what he might have been doing there. Have birth record registered with the consulate, which contains an address. Wondering if US embassy would have any historical records? And how to go about finding out?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Re: I'm looking for information on husbands grandfather who retired from army and lived in Panama in 1920s and early 1930s?
          Alex Champion Adventurer

Hello Mrs. Hartmann,

There could be any number of resources available to learn more about your husband’s grandfather. You say he was retired from the army and lived in Panama. If he was a government employee or say worked in the Panama Canal Zone there would likely be personnel records.

If he was a private citizen living in Panama, your best resources would be in Record Group 59 (General Records of the Department of State) and RG 84 (Records of Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State). This page on the National Archives’ website breaks down what resources are available. We have passport applications, name cards, marriage reports, and visa applications.

As the page says, some records are also digitized and available via subscription with National Archives commercial partners such as Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org. You may wish to use your local library or historical society rather than pay the fee.

To begin the next phase of your research we recommend contacting the reference branch at Archives II in College Park, MD at archives2reference@nara.gov, For them to better assist you, provide supporting information about your grandfather-in-law such as his name, his wife’s name, any known locations or occupations, etc.

Best of luck to you and thank you for using History Hub.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: I'm looking for information on husbands grandfather who retired from army and lived in Panama in 1920s and early 1930s?
            Lee Eltzroth Newbie

I believe that the U of FL in Gainesville has a lot of material related to Panama. You might try the University website and special collections to find out what kind of material they have. They have a large group of Latin American materials, too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful