17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2018 10:05 PM by james saunders

WWII unit personnel

james saunders Wayfarer

Hello,

I am currently in discussion with the US Army Awards and Decorations Branch regarding an award I feel my father deserves. I require documentation Proving my fathers assignment to the 3rd Battalion, 101st Infantry, 26th Infantry Division on or before 18 Nov 44.

I could use advise on how to go about this task.

Thanks for the help

• Re: WWII unit personnel
          joan stachnik Adventurer

HI James, have you checked the unit's morning reports, at the St. Louis Archives?  He may be mentioned in the reports, especially if he was wounded, had leave, or a special assignment. Also, the reports may list transfers into and out of the unit. I was also able to find monthly pay rosters at the St. Louis Archives for my dad, which listed unit member's name and pay. Hope this is of help. joan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              james saunders Wayfarer

Hi Joan,

Thanks for the reply. l have investigated the Morning Report route but since it would require me to either hire someone or fly to St. Louis, (I live in Florida) I have that option on hold presently. I thought I would see what I could turn up by other avenues first.

Regards, JAS

joan stachnik Adventurer

James, understandable. I did end up hiring a researcher to obtain morning reports for me. Since I knew exactly what I wanted, it was a fairly easy task. although time consuming. For me the cost was comparable to a trip to St. Louis. The main advantage was that the quality of the copies was very good.  joan

james saunders Wayfarer

Joan, I am sure that at some point I will be hiring someone. I am writing a "paper" on my fathers military service for the family. As we are the only vets in the family I want the youngsters to know why that generation is called the "Greatest Generation".

Any recommendations will be welcome.

Thanks JAS

Elliot Schneider Adventurer

Hello James,

Usually if you have the discharge papers from your father, NPRC should be able to issue awards based on those listed within his records. They may not have his records due to the devastated fire that occurred in the early 70's. So if you have this available it maybe beneficial for you to submit a copy along with a written request. What medal are you trying to have determined? The Army Award and Decoration branch will most likely be looking at the dates that he was over in Europe during the war and also by determining if the unit he was with at the time was issued any unit awards or presidential citations.

From my personal research, I do know that the 3rd BN 101st INF was attached to the 94th division from the following dates 23 Feb 45- 24 Feb 45.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

james saunders Wayfarer

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your reply. A little more information to answer some of your questions.

The 3rd Battalion, 101st Infantry, 26th Infantry Division was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation (DUC) (Currently the Presidential Unit Citation) for action between the dates of 18-21 Nov 44. My father was a part of this unit during those dates and in fact was wounded in the action on 19 Nov 44. Because he never received this award I petitioned through my congressman for an award by the US Army Awards and Decorations Branch. In that petition I submitted my Fathers discharge papers (WD AGO Form 53-55) indicating he was in L company, 3rd Battalion, 101st Infantry.

Unfortunately during their research the Army uncovered orders awarding a Purple Heart cut by the 101st Evac Hospital erroneously indicating my Fathers unit as F company. Which would put him in the second Battalion. Because of this the Army indicates to me further proof of my Fathers assignment to the 3rd Battalion will be required.

During a subsequent submission of documents to the Awards and Decorations Branch I included the following.

1. Medical Form 52b initiated by the 3rd Battalion Aid Station indicating my Father was treated at that facility on 19 Nov 44 and indicating his company as L.

2. Medical Form 52b initiated by the 101 Evac Hospital indicating my Father's unit as company L despite the Purple Heart orders cut by that unit.

3. Excerpts from the Official Army History of the Lorraine Campaign showing that F company 101st Infantry did not exist at the time of the award as all members of F company were either KIA or POW on 18 Nov 44. Making it impossible for my Father to be assigned to that unit at that point in time and show up at the 3rd Battalion Aid Station on the 19 Nov 44.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but the matter has become rather convoluted. The Army is still considering the situation. (I assume, I haven't heard anything for three months) So I thought I would see if there were any ideas out there for a resolution.

Regards JAS

1 of 1 people found this helpful

This happened to my father's dad. Except when injured and award the purple heart while in the Philippines, subsequently being sent back state side for the wounds received. While at the hospital in MO, he was able to finish high school and they promoted him. However when discharge his paperwork only stated his previous rank not reflecting the promotion given. I had to dig through hospital files showing when the commander issued the special order showing the promotion. It can be frustrating, but things will prevail.

joan stachnik Adventurer

James, may I ask how/where you obtained the medical forms indicating treatment for your dad at an aid station? That's something I'm looking for...aid station records. Thanks, joan

james saunders Wayfarer

Joan,

I originally applied to the NPRC for the medical records but of course like everything else from that period they had burned up. NPRC suggested I contact the VA. Luckily since my father had applied for VA disability the Army had transferred his medical records to the VA. The VA had the records for his service related injury. Medical form 52b, commonly called a wound card or wound tag is attached to the soldier and each medical facility adds their own tag as the soldier passes through the facility. I was able to trace my fathers journey from the front lines in France, through 8 medical facilities, to convalescence in Wales England.

The phone number at the VA to contact is 1-800-827-1000. You will have to submit a NA Form 13055. The VA was very accommodating and prompt. (for the govt.)

Hope this helps, JAS

joan stachnik Adventurer

James, thank you for the reply. I've tried to contact the VA in the past, but my dad didn't apply for any benefits until his late 70s.  Likely his service-related injury records were lost.  I have been able to find out which hospital he was treated at in England after D-Day, so I may try one more time.  joan

Hello Everyone,

For those that are seeking VA records here is some information that has provided me with better results. The best part is they put the records on a CD for you. In order for you to get any records you will need to provide a written request date and signed to the following address below, you may fax or mail. When requesting these records please make sure in your written statement you provide them with veterans full name, social security, date of birth, and that you are requesting all copies of veterans VA records.

VA Records Management Center

4300 Goodfellow Blvd., Bldg. 104

St. Louis, MO 63120

Fax: 314-679-3615

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

james saunders Wayfarer

Joan, Anything after 1973 is toast ( so to speak) however I found the VA people I talked to at that phone number very helpful and offering different alternatives.

JAS

Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Saunder,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 and located unit journals of both the 3rd & 2nd Battalions, 101st Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division for November 1944. They are handwritten and do include some names (mostly officers). For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      james saunders Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Collier,

Thanks for the effort.

I have run across the link you provided but did not know how it operates. I would certainly like to have copies of these journals for my research. I will contact College Park as you suggest.

Regards,  JAS

Rebecca Collier Tracker

The link provides you the information such as the RG number, the series title & the entry number that you need to have the records retrieved by the staff in College Park.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              james saunders Wayfarer

Following is the email I sent to College Park. I hope it contains all the information they require.

National Archives,

On June 3rd I posted this question on the History Hub website,

This question is Not Answered.(Mark as assumed answered)

james saunders Jun 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Hello,

I am currently in discussion with the US Army Awards and Decorations Branch regarding an award I feel my father deserves. I require documentation Proving my fathers assignment to the 3rd Battalion, 101st Infantry, 26th Infantry Division on or before 18 Nov 44.

I could use advise on how to go about this task.

Thanks for the help

This elicited this response from Rebecca Collier,

Rebecca Collier Jun 6, 2018 7:59 AM (in response to james saunders)

Dear Mr. Saunders,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 and located unit journals of both the 3rd & 2nd Battalions, 101st Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division for November 1944. They are handwritten and do include some names (mostly officers). For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Accordingly I am contacting you with my request. I would like to inquire about the possibility of obtaining the unit journals mentioned by Ms. Collier.

Thanks for the help, James Saunders

Thanks JAS