3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 7:17 PM by Ethan Kent

"'Santa' [sic] Domingo Pueblo Report of the Pueblo Lands Board, 8/7/1930" Transcription mission: re-scan Images, Please!

Ethan Kent Wayfarer

Dear NARA/National Archives staffers:

As you may have noticed, the Citizen Archivist Transcription Mission referred-to in my Subject line/header has not yet been transcribed by any "Citizen Archivist".

One reason for this?

(Like a number of other Pueblo Lands documents in the Catalog -- and too many other documents in the Catalog : ( ,) The scans are all oriented so that the typed characters and the pages they are found on are all upside down in the scanned Images (which means hat although Transcribers like me who have figured out how to read print "upside down" could possibly try to transcribe the pages of this report (I could certainly myself try to do the 1st page -- although I don't see myself doing so soon), it would be much easier to transcribe this document if the pages were re-scanned so that the Images we see would appear as they were meant to be read (with all words "right side up").

Please arrange for the scans to be read as they should be before asking Citizen Archivist Transcribers to work with them

(I would hope that all Catalog scans would be done so that the content would be as easily-readable (by those who can read the language present in the text) as possible.)

Thank You for reading this post; I hope that this Transcription Project may be re-presented to the Citizen Archivist public with "right side up" scans soon.

Sincerely yours,

Ethan W. Kent (or "EthanFromBellmore") -- in New York City.

S

• Re: "'Santa' [sic] Domingo Pueblo Report of the Pueblo Lands Board, 8/7/1930" Transcription mission: re-scan Images, Please!
          Richard Elsom Newbie

Hello Mr. Kent,

Thank you for bringing this error to our attention. I will work on getting these images right side up today, but it may take several weeks for the new images to appear in the catalog.

In the meantime, you can download the images to your computer by clicking the blue icon with the downward arrow below each image. Once downloaded, you'll be able to rotate the images using whatever photo viewing software you have. You can also download the full .PDF of the documents by clicking the red PDF icon below the image. The images are all right side up in the PDF document and you can view the document using free Adobe Reader software.

Please let me know if I can provide further assistance.

• Re: "'Santa' [sic] Domingo Pueblo Report of the Pueblo Lands Board, 8/7/1930" Transcription mission: re-scan Images, Please!
              Ethan Kent Wayfarer

Thank you, Mr. Elsom, for promising to presenting the images in this particular Transcription Mission "right side up" within the near future.

(I really don't think I will use your advice concerning downloading the files in order to work on this Mission, although if other Citizen Archivist Transcribers wish to do so, they may find satisfaction in doing so.)

I would like to say 2 other things connected to this:

1) (I forgot to explain this in my previous message : ) If you can read the title-page image (presented upside down) -- or know enough Spanish (or even just know the name of the capital of the Dominican Republic), you will probably (especially if you read the title page or Google concerning the Pueblo in question) soon realize that the proper name of the Pueblo in question is not "Santa Domingo Pueblo", but "Santo Domingo Pueblo".

I hope that someone can also (therefore) make the title of the File Unit more accurate at some near-future point as well.

2) (As I noted in my 1st message in this thread,) There are quite a few other related Pueblo Lands documents in the Catalog which also have their content presented "upside down" (including another document concerning Santo Domingo Pueblo) -- and I sincerely hope that (within the next few months) all of these "upside-down" images concerning Pueblo Indian lands may be re-presented to the Catalog "right side up" (especially if anyone with NARA/the National Archives were to wish us Citizen Archivist Transcribers to work with them as a "Mission".

-------------------

(As for me, I have recently been busy with a Patent Office set of documents (initially-transcribed by another Citizen Archivist transcriber) concerning Auguste Bartholdi and what we know as the "Statue of Liberty" and with a more-recently-active "Transcription Mission" concerning "Landing Reports" of immigrants collected by the US District Court in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1798 on... -- and I am glad (as much of the text in the Patent Office set and all of the content of the Landing Reports Volume is hand-written) that all of the Images presented in those sets is as easy for me to read as possible. )

Again, Thank You, Mr. Elsom (including for the quick reply )

Sincerely yours,

Ethan W. Kent/"EthanFromBellmore"..

Ethan Kent Wayfarer

I'm glad that it seems that the document in question has in fact now been transcribed (the Transcriber perhaps having followed Mr. Elsom's advice with respect to reading the pages).

Ethan W. Kent/"EthanFromBellmore".