2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2020 10:27 PM by Amanda Timby

Where might I find the roster of Task Force Smith (24th ID Korean War July 1950)?

I am the historian for the Alamo Scouts Historical Foundation, and I am trying to determine if SSG Charles J. Stewart (Alamo Scout - ASN 6973874), was a member of Task Force Smith at the beginning of the Korean War. Thank you.

• Re: Where might I find the roster of Task Force Smith (24th ID Korean War July 1950)?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Zedric,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

Since the 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment of the 24th Infantry Division were the only unit on July 1, 1950 to be assigned to Task Force Smith, we suggest that you request the roster for that unit. Copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1947-59 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives in St. Louis, MO. Please contact them for access to these records via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

We hope that this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Where might I find the roster of Task Force Smith (24th ID Korean War July 1950)?
            Amanda Timby Newbie

Two things about the 21st Infantry/24th Division deployed to Korea July 1950:

• Out of the 1st battalion certain companies were sent by plane and the rest by boat due to poor flight conditions. Those troops arriving via boat landed a couple days later. I have yet to determine if the companies arriving via boat are included in Task Force Smith or not. They arrived later but they were deployed to Korea with the same orders as Task Force Smith. From what I gather from a previous historian of the 21st companies B and C were Task Force Smith. But I have not located documentation that confirms with certainty. if their company does make difference as to who is included or not, then his company will also be information you will want to find. **If you find anything indicating who was or was not included, please let me know.
            • The 1st battalion was severely understaffed so at the time of deployment troops were pulled from other units in order to have a deployable unit(although they still had nowhere near the troops needed for combat). So, the soldier might show up under records of other regiments, battalions, etc just prior to deployment 1 Jul 1950. I have myself come across soldiers who were with one unit 30 June and were reassigned 1 July. So if requesting monthly logs, you might ask for June 1950 as well as July 1950. Out of the hundreds that engaged in the first battles of the war, very few survived. So, there is a possibility that a soldier's name may only be assigned to that group a limited amount of days if he was transferred to the 1st Battalion 21st Infantry 24th Infantry Division on 30 June and was killed in action by 5 July 1950.
            • There are many memorial sites for the 21st Infantry with photos, names, stories. Maybe you can find him there also.

My grandfather served with the 21st/24th and was deployed to Korea from Camp Wood, Japan with the 1st Battalion. He was wounded on 10 July 1950, 5 days after the war began. I've been researching this unit for quite some time and currently working on a writing project about these brave men. I will be keep an eye out for SSG Charles Smith while researching!

1 person found this helpful