2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2018 12:33 PM by Michael Culbertson

Help locating info about 3432 ASU (WWII). What does ASU even stand for?

Amy Hall Newbie

Received my uncle's WWII OMPF file from St. Louis last week and his unit listed on a morning report is Hq. Co. Sec 1 (Operating) 3432 ASU, Fort Jackson, SC  (8143b1). Google hasn't been any help for locating anything about 3432 ASU or what ASU stands for. I'm sorta bummed that after waiting months for his file, I still do not know what my uncle did during his military service (1943-1948) or what record collections I should focus on next. Can anyone help me with this darn puzzle? TIA

• Re: Help locating info about 3432 ASU (WWII). What does ASU even stand for?
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Ms. Hall,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

The acronym ASU means Army Service Unit or Area Service Unit or Army Support Unit. These units usually were assigned to a camp, fort, post, or station to carry out the day to day functions of the camp, fort, post, or station. Since they were non-combative, very few, if any, records of these units were considered permanent.

Just in case, we searched the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Record Group 407) and the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) but were unable to locate any records of the 3432nd ASU during WWII.

We also searched the Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces (Record Group 337) for records of Fort Jackson, SC but the only WWII records we were able to locate were general orders (GOs) from 1941 to 1946. The GOS include assumption of command of the fort and various units assigned to the fort, post regulations, movements of units in and out of the fort, schedule of calls (daily routine of the fort), and some awards. Although the GOs are mostly about the fort, they may provide an idea of what life was like at the fort during WWII. For access to the GOs, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

5 of 5 people found this helpful
          • Re: Help locating info about 3432 ASU (WWII). What does ASU even stand for?
            Michael Culbertson Newbie

While there are no unit histories for 3432 ASU in College Park, you might be able to find something at the National Personnel Records Center.  Ask NPRC if the Morning Reports for HHC 3432d ASU for the period of your father's are extant.  Morning Reports show information about arrivals, departures, promotions, unit strength, and often a record of events.  Records of individual Soldiers' arrivals should show what unit they came from, and often show their Military Occupational Specialties (MOS).  In addition, Headquarters Company would have had a lot of different functions, so you might be able to discover what section he worked in.

The downside is that none of the Morning Reports have been digitized, so you would have to go to St. Louis to do research in those records.  There are companies that will do that research for a fee.  I hired a company that searched some Morning Reports for me for $30 and hour plus copies.

Contact information for NPRC can be found at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Good luck!

2 of 2 people found this helpful