4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2018 9:54 AM by Cara Moore Lebonick

    Are there individual family records stored at the US Archives?


      Does Archives have files/folders on individual families?  In my case that pertains to the Steele family, Iredell county, NC (or Davie county, NC).  I believe my late grandfather worked with the Census Bureau (Commerce) and perhaps the Library of Congress. He enjoyed writing and perhaps compiled information about the family.  Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

        • Re: Are there individual family records stored at the US Archives?
          Jenette Parish Adventurer

          Mr. Steele,


          Thank you for contacting the History Hub about family records. The National Archives only holds government generated records such as the US Census, Military records, or Land Records regarding genealogy type information. We do not retain personal manuscripts of genealogy histories. You may find individual or personal family genealogies with the state archives, local heritage societies, or the Daughters or Sons of the American Revolution. Occasionally, larger libraries like New York Public Library will have family folders for local historical families.

          I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

          Jenette Parish

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Are there individual family records stored at the US Archives?
            Cara Moore Lebonick Adventurer

            Dear Mr. Steele,


            Jenette is correct that we do not have personal manuscripts or histories, but we do have Official Personnel Folders (OPF). These detail the individual's service with the federal government from applications, to efficiency ratings, to termination of service and lots in between! By requesting his OPF from the National Archives at St. Louis you can find out more about his service as well as genealogical information like his next of kin and members of his family.


            In order to request his OPF please write to us at stl.archives@nara.gov or by sending a letter to:


            National Archives & Records Administration
            ATTN: Archival Programs, Room 340, Civilian Reference
            P.O. Box 38757
            St. Louis, MO 63138


            Please include certain basic information about your relative such as:

            • full name used during Federal employment,
            • date of birth,
            • Social Security Number (if applicable),
            • name and location of employing Federal agency,
            • beginning and ending dates of Federal Service






            Cara Moore Lebonick

            National Archives at St. Louis