1 Reply Latest reply on May 1, 2018 7:36 AM by Holly Rivet

    how do I find medical records for the PTSD Clinic at Des Moines Iowa VA hospital from 1989...for a Vietnam veteran


      I am trying to obtain medical records from when my husband attended the clinic for PTSD in Des Moines Iowa at the VA hospital.  He has been filing a claim for several years, it gets denied as no record.  Yet he was in the clinic, I spoke with a female doctor who told me his problems was PTSD.  He was given medication for several years.  At one point he was told he was not eligible to obtain medical care as I was making too much a month.  I was told to get a divorce, make him homeless and he would be eligible.  When he filed a disability claim for PTSD he was told no records........in 2016 he filed again, and i wrote they had the records all this time, and I was not able to come into the hospital and look at microfische  for his records.  They said they found the records but offered him two months compensation......We filed a disagreement, and now are being told no records are found.....from 1989 thru 1996 for him......please can someone help with this.  He is in poor health, and he has refiled this several times, but was denied, and at times he was not sent a letter, and when we inquired we were told he had to refile.........I would like to tell him this is resolved while he is still understanding what is happening.  He has heart disease, loss of hearing, PTSD, alzheimers, dementia.  Please will someone help with this

        • Re: how do I find medical records for the PTSD Clinic at Des Moines Iowa VA hospital from 1989...for a Vietnam veteran
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Hensley,

          Thank you for contacting the History Hub.

          The National Archive may have medical files from while the veteran was still in the military.  Any medical records created by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are in the custody of the VA.  Veterans and their families are able to obtain the Official Military Personnel File for the purposes of benefits.  If this will assist you in any way, please fill out the SF-180 and send it in to the appropriate location as outlined in the form.

          You may wish to have a representative of the VA submit, on your husband’s behalf, a request to the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC), Kingman Building 2C08, 7701 Telegraph Road, Alexandria, VA  22315. The JSRRC conducts searches to support disability claims relating to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

          We hope this information is helpful.


          Holly Rivet


          3 people found this helpful