1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2018 11:08 AM by Textual Reference Branch, Archives II

My Dad was CO of the USS Champion (AM-314) from the date of commission on 8 Sep 1943 until the end of the war.  How can I obtain deck logs and any other ship info for this period of time?

Ralph Howard Newbie

My Dad was CO of the USS Champion (AM-314) from the date of commission on 8 Sep 1943 until the end of the war.  How can I obtain deck logs and any other ship data for this period of time?

• Re: My Dad was CO of the USS Champion (AM-314) from the date of commission on 8 Sep 1943 until the end of the war.  How can I obtain deck logs and any other ship info for this period of time?
          Textual Reference Branch, Archives II Adventurer

Dear Mr. Howard,

The National Archives in College Park, MD holds the deck logs for United States Navy ships during World War II. A deck log is a brief record of the daily administrative activities of a ship. It includes journal-style entries of the ship's administrative activities; location and course of travel; disciplinary procedures; and any unusual events. The logs sometime include information related to operational activities, although the level of content and detail may vary widely. Deck logs are not detailed journals describing a ship's mission and all events transpiring in and around the ship.

Along with holding the deck logs of United States Navy ships, the National Archives in College Park, MD also hold the Action Reports and War Diaries for United States Navy ships during World War II. Action Reports provide information about incidents of direct combat action with enemy forces during World War II. War Diaries are daily operational journals  created by various naval commands. Most war diaries provided a day-to-day record of operational activities and sometimes administrative activities as well. The quality of the diaries varied widely, with some providing detailed accounts, while other diaries contain only cursory information. Action Reports and War Diaries are useful in understanding what the ship did during the war and include information not provided by the deck logs. We hold Action Reports for the USS Champion AM-314 for various dates in 1945. We also hold the War Diaries for its commission in September 1943 through November 1945.

If you would like to obtain copies of these records, you have three options. The best option would be to visit the National Archives in College Park, MD in person.  The Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RDT2) is located at 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, near the University of Maryland--College Park campus. Prior to your visit, please consult our web site at http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/, http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/self-service-copying.html, and http://www.archives.gov/research/start/getting-started.pdf.

You can request a price quote for select documents. To take advantage of this assistance, researchers must limit the size of their requests, order complete files rather than individually selected documents, and pay our current fee for paper or digital copies of $0.80 per page with a minimum mail order fee of $20.00. If you choose this option, we ask you to send your requests in batches of three. We also ask that you provide as much information as you can about your requests including the Record Group, box numbers, entry numbers, and titles.  Finally, price quotes require your full name and your mailing/postal/billing/shipping address. You are under no obligation to purchase the copies. A price quote can be requested by contacting us at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please keep in mind that deck logs, action reports and war diaries contain several hundred, and in some cases, several thousand pages, which may become very costly to provide reproductions for.

Lastly, you can hire a private researcher to do research for you. The history departments at some of the local universities may be able to help you. Several possibilities are history departments at Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057; George Washington University, Washington, DC 20052; George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 22030; and the University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20740. A list of private researchers who are familiar with National Archives facilities is available on our web site at http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/index.html.

We hope you find this information useful.

Sincerely,

Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RDT2)

National Archives at College Park, MD

3 of 3 people found this helpful