1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2018 10:16 AM by Research Services at the National Archives

    Jacket belonging to J W Petty


      After the death of our Uncle, a Navy Veteran that served in Vietnam, we found what we believe is the jacket to a dress uniform. We thought it belonged to our Uncle but instead we found this information:

      Petty J W    301


      We would like to return this to his family. We are trying to find the information needed to do this. Will gladly provide a picture of the jacket if needed. Any assistance would be appreciated.

        • Re: Jacket belonging to J W Petty
          Research Services at the National Archives Tracker

          Dear Ms. Wilkes,


          Thank you for posting your request to the History Hub!


          The National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful