3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 4:40 PM by joan stachnik

Is it possible to obtain any military records for a soldier whose records burned in St Louis fire?

Nancy Baker Newbie

I have contacted the archives in St. Louis and they have no records available regarding my father's service.  Are there likely to be any records anywhere else, such as in the D.C. archives?  Can I obtain a DD214 or know where he was stationed ... anything?

• Re: Is it possible to obtain any military records for a soldier whose records burned in St Louis fire?
          Elliot Schneider Adventurer

Mrs. Baker,

There are always many alternatives to service records morning reports and unit rosters, depending on What unit he was stationed with during the war. If you would like to provide other information like Division, and units he served with too help narrow your search down.

Last attempt for you to try and track down his DD-214 would be to contact your fathers state Military Affairs office, or try searching through the local county veterans service department. He may have registered his records with the county registers office where he lived. Lastly, if your father ever filled a claim for VA benefits you can also request his records that way too.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • Re: Is it possible to obtain any military records for a soldier whose records burned in St Louis fire?
            Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Ms. Baker,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

We would recommend first searching the National Archive’s Access to Archival Databases: World War II Army Enlistment Records to determine when he enlisted as well as obtain his service number.  This information will assist you should you decide to locate auxiliary files such as what Mr. Schneider mentioned. For more information on auxiliary files and how to access them, please review this presentation

You may also request his Selective Service Card and Classification Ledger from the National Archives, St. Louis.  This collection includes men who registered for the draft with dates of birth through March 1957.  Ledgers can indicate duration of service, while the draft cards may include more specific information such as branch of service, service number, or reserves service.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) handles requests for Official Military Personnel Files to create proof of service only for benefits purposes (VA benefits, grave markers, veteran loans…).  If you are seeking his DD-214 for such a purpose, please contact the NPRC again with as much information as you can find for them to reconstruct his service. Since you have already been in contact with them, please call the NPRC Customer Service Line at 1-866-272-6272.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              joan stachnik Adventurer

Ms Baker, just to add to the above responses, I was able to obtain morning reports (from the St. Louis Archives) for my dad's units during his WWII service. These can give a lot of information. I was also able to find a final pay roster (from his reconstructed file), a hospital admission index card, and as mentioned above, his selective service card and classification ledger (these only gave the date he reported for service and date of discharge from the military). However, my dad did save his separation papers so I knew the units and where/when he served during WWII. If you are able to identify your dad's unit, you might want to consider a visit to the St. Louis Archives. The researchers there were very helpful in showing me how to search the microfilm files.  And if you do find your dad's service number, even a Google search might provide some information. joan

1 of 1 people found this helpful