4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 1:55 PM by Jenette Parish

What records are available for veterans of the Spanish American War? And how can I access them?

Georgie Gould Newbie

My great grandfather was a veteran of the Spanish American war but I cannot locate any documents/records/files for him currently available in Ancestry/FamilySearch/Fold3 services and I am hopeful NARA might have more documents than the services provide at this time.

Where might I find additional records? How can I access them?

Charles Campbell (Charles may have been middle name)

Born Pennsylvania

1900 lived in Philadelphia with wife Annie

• Re: What records are available for veterans of the Spanish American War? And how can I access them?
          Elliot Schneider Adventurer

Mrs. Gould,

His Name is as follows Pvt. Charles H. Campbell enlisted with Co. B of the Fourth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Army. He Entered service June 1898.

If you have any further questions let me know.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: What records are available for veterans of the Spanish American War? And how can I access them?
              Georgie Gould Newbie

Thanks for your reply -- but unfortunately that's not him. I have already searched the entire volunteer list and reviewed every man named Campbell on it.  I have also searched the Pennsylvania Spanish American War Pension list with no luck. These were both available on Ancestry, FamilySearch and/or Fold3.

What I seek is more lists that are not on those sites to search through.

(and I need to be able to document and cite them professionally)

Are there more lists that might be useful in NARA?

Or is what I have already searched all that exists?

Elliot Schneider Adventurer

Hello Mrs. Gould,

I did not find this on fold3 or Ancestory, this was a digital copy that I have of Pennsylvania Spanish American War Registers for the Pennsylvania Army that list all the Army Regiments.

This is a good one I too searched the entire volumes of Campbells in the Pennsylvania Registers. My question is do you know year he was born, and place of birth. Do you know his parents information you might have luck trying census records to get birth date, marriage dates and other information . Seems like Charles Campbell was a popular name especially for the First name Charles.

I had a similar situation where a great grandfather fought in the civil war his name was Richard, subsequently there was another Richard who was a cousin that also fought in the civil war. This time period can be confusing.

Lastly. Your Orginal post stated he was born in 1900, if this was the case he would have been to young to fight in the Spanish American War, or the Mexican Border War. If he was born in 1900, he might have served in WW1.

Pennsylvania State Archives,

PO Box 1026

Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026

Jenette Parish Adventurer

Ms. Gould,

Thank you for posting in the History Hub. It is difficult to answer your question without knowing which Charles is your soldier OR if the soldier was regular or volunteer army, hence the records available would be different. Volunteers often have a CMSR, pension records for self or dependents, possible bounty land applications/warrants, and thereafter may have homestead records as civilians. Regular Army records are part of RG 94 and are located in assorted series such as enlistment papers, etc.

Most textual military records are available in Washington D.C. for review in person, except those that have been digitized already. If you are unable to visit the archives, you may consider hiring an independent researcher to review all possibilities for you. 

If you are able to pinpoint his military service, you may order records online or mail in order forms.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck with your research!

Jenny Parish

2 of 2 people found this helpful