2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2018 11:10 AM by Holly Rivet

George Thorn Navy Philadelphia 1956 to 1958 search

Theresa Falls Newbie

What is the best avenue to approach a military record of an Uncle who might not want to be found? Searched endlessly. Navy at 16 in 1956 to 1958 out of Philadelphia according to my father.I saw him in 1972, where it was stated years later he was heading to Japan with his new wife. Never saw or heard about my Uncle again.

Thank you.

• Re: George Thorn Navy Philadelphia 1956 to 1958 search
          Jenette Parish Adventurer

Hello Ms. Falls,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub regarding your Uncle's military record. You may order his veteran service record and/or DD214 from St. Louis the National Personnel Records Center. The record will not have his current residence but it may note useful information relative to your search.

Click here to order WWII veteran service records online.

Or, Click here to visit the St. Louis archive in person.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: George Thorn Navy Philadelphia 1956 to 1958 search
            Holly Rivet Adventurer

Hello Ms. Falls,

The National Archives in St. Louis has Navy Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) from this time frame.  Records for veterans who separated from service less than 62 years from today’s date are only releasable under FOIA unless it the veteran, immediate family, or another special circumstance.  Since he was released in 1958 his OMPF will not be releasable until 2020 on or after the date of his release. 

We suggest gathering as much information as you could from your family then using FamilySearch or Ancestry for the time being.  Once his record becomes releasable on January 2021 at the latest, please contact the St. Louis National Archive to schedule a visit to view his record or to request a copy.

Best of luck, and thank you for contacting the History Hub.

Holly Rivet

St. Louis

2 of 2 people found this helpful