2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 1:38 PM by Holly Rivet

    I would like to find WWII airman killed in training in New Mexico


      I am looking for my birth father who was MIA the found dead in a training crash in New Mexico some time In 1943. How can I locate his info?

        • Re: I would like to find WWII airman killed in training in New Mexico

          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) are located at the National Personnel Records Center/National Archives at St. Louis. His service record may have been involved in a fire at this facility in 1973, so it may be lost or incomplete. If that is the case, we may be able to reconstruct basic service data to provide to you. OMPFs may be obtained by writing to:


          National Personnel Records Center

          (Military Personnel Records)

          1 Archives Drive

          St. Louis, MO  63138-1002


          There may also be an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF), which was usually created for individuals who died in service. You may request a search of these records by writing to the following address:


          National Archives & Records Administration

          National Archives - St. Louis

          Attn: RL-SL

          PO Box 38757

          St. Louis, MO  63138-0757

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: I would like to find WWII airman killed in training in New Mexico
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Mr. Bowden,


            Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


            We would recommend the Army Individual Death Personnel Files (IDPF).  These files might include information such as: location and date of death, cause of death, location of temporary burial, letters from family members and response letters from the military and/or other government components.


            Currently the National Archives at St. Louis is in custody of the Army IDPFs (1939-1953) for service members with the last names of A-L.  For last names M-Z, we will add the request to our que to complete once those files come to us. Please contact us as stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Also, World War II Army Air Force and Air Force accident reports up to 1955 are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, and AL 36112-6424.  The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.


            Best of luck with your research!


            Holly Rivet

            St. Louis


            2 people found this helpful