1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 10:28 AM by Rebecca Collier

Where do I look Army troop movement into and out of Okinawa?

Donna Oldenkamp Newbie

I have pictures and negative of troops on Okinawa just after WWII. I would like to date them and know which troops were assigned to “clean up”. I might also have letters written home, but they are not very informative. Also, which ships took Army to and from the island?

Also, is there a place to share pictures of Army life on Okinawa. I believe my father was the camp photographer and also did the developing for other soldiers. Is there a way to confirm that?

Donna Page Oldenkamp

djoldenkamp@att.net

• Re: Where do I look Army troop movement into and out of Okinawa?
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Ms. Oldenkamp,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub! 

According to our records, in 1951 the Department of the Army destroyed all manifests, logs of vessels, and troop movement files of United States Army transports for World War II. U.S. Army Transport Service passenger lists of military personnel from 1941-46 are still in the legal custody of the Army. For access to these records, please contact Anthony Crawley-Gibson, Army Records Officer, Army Records Management Division, 7701 Telegraph Road, Alexandria, VA 22315. The telephone number is 703-428-6464 and email is anthony.d.crawley-gibson.civ@mail.mil. Please request the name of the facility, transfer numbers, and box numbers.

We suggest that you contact the National WWII Museum, 923 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA  70130. The telephone number is (504) 528-1944 and web site is https://www.nationalww2museum.org/. OR contact the U.S. Army Military History Institute, The Army Heritage & Education Center, 950 Soldiers Drive, Carlisle, PA 17013-5021. The telephone number is 717-245-3971 and web site is https://history.army.mil/index.html. Either organization might be interested in the photographs you have.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful