2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 10:25 AM by Kevin Yelvington Branched to a new discussion.

looking for history of Base Hospital No. 25 of the AEF in World War I

Kevin Yelvington Newbie

To Whom It May Concern:

I wonder if you can help me. I am interested in obtaining a copy of the history of Base Hospital No. 25 of the AEF in World War I.

I have checked with the National Library of Medicine and it is not there. There is a mention of this history in _The Medical Department Of The United States Army in The World War, Vol. 2_. An on-line version is here:  http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwi/adminamerexp/chapter24.html  If you scroll down to p. 651 you will see the entry on Base Hospital No. 25. At the end of that entry, you will see the following note: “‘History, Base Hospital No. 25, A. E. F,’ by Lieut. Col. William Gillespie, M. C., while on duty as a member of the staff of that hospital. The history is on file in the Historical Division, S. G. O., Washington, D. C.” 

Dr. Stephen Greenberg, head of the Rare Books & Early Manuscripts Section at the National Library of Medicine, says that this office is no longer in the Surgeon General's Office and that any records are likely in the National Archives. I have conducted research at NARA II on the records of Base Hospital 25 (RG 120, Boxes 284-286) and there seem to be a few pages of a draft of a history (with added pencil markings, sections crossed out, etc.), among other records, but it is incomplete. Thus I am looking for the complete report (if it exists). I have also checked with the Army War College Library and it is not there.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Sincerely,

Kevin A. Yelvington

Department of Anthropology

University of South Florida