1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 2:09 PM by Alex Champion

How can I obtain records from 1938 of a foreclosed NJ property from the now-defunct Home Owners Loan Corp?

Paul Havemann Newbie

The Pequannock Twp (NJ) Historical Society has been tasked with the care of a historic building known as the "Martin Berry House" in this township.  We are researching the history of this 1720 structure.

We know that the house was foreclosed in 1938 by the Home Owners Loan Corporation. Specifically, Ludlow C. Meeks and wife Louise C. Meeks, "by Sheriff's deed of 1 July 1938, conveyed 2.31 acres to the HOLC, describing the property as being on the southwestern side of proposed [now actual] State Highway 23."

The quoted portion is from the Historic American Building Survey (HABS) report in 1939. The address is currently 581 Route 23, Pompton Plains NJ 07444. 

How can I obtain that deed and any other info the HOLC may have collected?

• Re: How can I obtain records from 1938 of a foreclosed NJ property from the now-defunct Home Owners Loan Corp?
          Alex Champion Adventurer

Hello Mr. Havemann,

Thank you for posting your question to History Hub. We examined the Home Owners Loan Corporation records in Record Group 195, Records of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board.

Unfortunately it looks as if the deed was not retained. The administrative records that we do have, namely a sampling of dockets and runs of correspondence, have a gap between 1936 and 1941. There is some Congressional correspondence but this is likely too high a level to be valuable to you.

We suggest you submit a request to archives2reference@nara.gov and ask them to search for references to the Martin Berry House in Record Group 515, Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record. We made a preliminary glance at some of these records in the series “Records Relating to State Projects of the Historic American Buildings Survey, 1933 - 1950” (National Archives ID 2022355) but the reference staff is better suited to look into the records further.

Best of luck on your continuing research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful