5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 9:51 PM by Michael Tomko

When will records of WWII 6th Infantry Division be available and complete?

Danny Thomas Wayfarer

I have been searching online since 2007 and have found minimal information. If I lived close by I would volunteer to transcribe.

• Re: When will records of WWII 6th Infantry Division be available and complete?
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!

The records of the 6th Infantry Division in the World War II Operations Reports, 1940 - 1948 and the Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 are available for research but only on-site or by inquiry. Very few records have been digitized. For access, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: When will records of WWII 6th Infantry Division be available and complete?
              Danny Thomas Wayfarer

Ms Collier,

Thank you for your reply. I know employees and volunteers are extremely busy documenting and making resources available online as fast as they can. The vast majority of us that are looking/researching do not have the means to visit the archives or pay for the service of researching and copying on our behalf..

What concerns me is the amount of newer records that are being made available vs the old. I'm sure many feel the same as I do in regards to making the oldest archives available first.

Thank you again,

Danny

Michael Tomko Scout

Perhaps it would be better to release specific significant records, audio and motion picture images that would

"clarify" the historic perspective? Releasing records simply because they are the oldest may not benefit the American

people and provide transparency. Important decisions regarding the use of special weapons could educate the public.

Diplomatic efforts and negotiations could prevent global conflicts.

Is there a specific event or series of events that involved the 6th Division?  Could the these events be highlighted or

possibly declassified, rather than process every record?  There are still incidents from WW2, Korea and Vietnam that have not been declassified. There are also events from the Cold War and Persian Gulf Wars which have not been declassified.

Maybe the key, is to strategically focus the process on important events which have been cloaked in darkness as to

keep the war machine running. Imagine an "iceberg" of information, and the public only is permitted to view the tip above the surface.  Imagine all the knowledge that is lost below the water line and thrown into the mineshaft as to never be seen again? Also, remember that sunshine on current events also minimizes corruption and the misuse of resources. Sometimes recent events should be prioritized as to restore integrity and honesty to the system.

Danny Thomas Wayfarer

I'm from the generation after WWII, trying to learn about my father, the 6th ID and his roll in it.

It seems as though what is being made available on the internet is hit and miss. If there isn't some sort of priority, the people of my generation will be gone and that information still wont be digitized.

Michael Tomko Scout

I understand, my father was in WW2 also, and I served in the Army. The 6th ID should have after action reports and intel summaries for the operations it was involved in. It was also involved in a POW rescue mission. There should also be some map overlays, and there may also be still images or moving images.

You are correct concerning the passing of a generation, the WW2 generation has few left. But there are still significant events that have not been declassified. Missions into North Korea, and North Vietnam. Submarine operations from the Cold War era, and the deployment of special weapons. They still haven't released all the JFK files?

I also agree that our generation will also be gone, and many of the records will still not be digitized for public access.

That's the way the system is designed. But many of nations and foreign archives have not released information. 

Another aspect is that much of the information is released directly to one producer or corporation and never shared with the public. I actually prefer to read the actual documents, rather than an interpretation, and aggregate the historic content. Sometimes there are missing pieces in the puzzle that can be observed.

Is there a Record Receipt and Transmittal Form that lists the 6th ID After Actions and missions? The after action is usually broken down by units in the division and there could be multiple actions for various time frames.