5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2018 7:09 PM by Michael Tomko

Reserve Unit Rosters

Elliot Schneider Scout

Hello NARA,

Dose anyone know where to directly request unit rosters for Army Reserve Units after 1959. It dose not seems that the Archives 2 in College Park has these since I received a response from them saying they don't have Unit Rosters for the Reserves. So if anyone knows where I can write to or fax let me know who I need to address.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Reserve Unit Rosters
          Ryan Bass Adventurer

Dear Mr. Schneider,

The unit records you seek may be in the custody of the U.S. Army Reserves History Office. For information and guidance on access to the Army Reserve Historical Research Collection, you may contact the Office of Army Reserve Archivist, 1401 Deshler Street SW, Fort McPherson, GA 30330. The telephone number is (404) 464-8461 and the email address is deborah.fosterking@usar.army.mil.

Best of luck in your research and thank you for your question on History Hub!

Elliot Schneider Scout

Ryan,

Do you know anyone else have reached out to this Reserve Historical Center before. Then they refer me to the USHEC office but they don't seem to have any unit rosters either, they just have unit lineage. Not sure where else to turn.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Research Services at the National Archives Tracker

Dear Mr. Schneider,

According to the U.S. Army Center of Military History web site, the Army Reserve Personnel Center located at 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138, has custody of rosters for Army Reserve units from 1917 to the present. Please contact them for access to these records.

Thank you again for posting your request to the History Hub.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    Michael Tomko Scout

Knowing the lineage and command structure of what the unit existed under would help. The Command, Corps, Division

and Company could assist in locating a possible roster. They used to print orders listing each assignment or award with multiple names listed. For example, a  Company personnel clerk would submit 5 soldiers for Good Conduct Medals, and list all the names, rank and soc sec numbers on one order. The same thing was done for assignments and transfers. Each person would receive copies of one of the orders. But these would be considered individual orders that would be placed in the personnel record. Officers would have most likely received individual orders.

The unit lineage and command structure may help in locating a Record Transmittal Form, that would list unit rosters,

promotion rosters, and potential schools and training attendance records. Most officers also obtain a Security Clearance and back ground check, whereby the results of this may not be in the personnel record or 201 file.

Michael Tomko Scout

Please refer to the Master Index of Army Records link.

https://history.army.mil/reference/records.htm