2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2019 3:13 PM by adavered

WWII field picture - soldiers shooting from inside building

Wayfarer

Hello.  I found this old WWII picture in my father's files (soldiers shooting inside building)WWII picture - soldiers shooting from inside building.  Any thoughts on it? 

• Re: WWII field picture - soldiers shooting from inside building
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Dash,

Thank you for posting your question on the History Hub!

If it was part of the “captured” records in the National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized (Record Group 242), the photograph of record would be considered permanent and in the custody of the National Archives at College Park -Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. Their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

We also suggest that you contact the State Archives of Poland via https://www.archiwa.gov.pl/pl/ for Polish military information. For German military information, you may wish to contact the Bundesarchiv Abt. VI - Militärarchiv, Wiesentalstraße 10, 79115 Freiburg, Germany.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: WWII field picture - soldiers shooting from inside building
            Adventurer

Ms. Dash,

To continue with an analysis of your photos....

I believe this particular image was taken during the Warsaw Uprising in the Summer of 1944.  The fighters here are wearing a mixture of German and Polish uniform items.  The soldier second from right as well as the one kneeling in front are wearing the Polish version of the French Adrian helmet, a standard item of Polish Army uniforms prior to the war.  The other helmeted figures are wearing German Stahlhelms, the standard helmet for the Wehrmacht during the war.  The weapons are either German Karabiner 98k or the Polish Wz 98a rifles--you have to look at one up close to tell the difference.  All of these identifiers point to the photo being taken in Warsaw during the uprising.

1 person found this helpful