1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2018 2:21 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

Project on US-Soviet relations for mid-1950s thru 1960s.  Where do I begin?

Rebecca Collier Navigator

I am beginning a project on US-Soviet relations that spans the mid-1950s through the 1960s.  Where do you suggest I begin?  Are the records microfilmed or will I need to visit -- I will only have my university's spring break to do research at your facility.

• Re: Project on US-Soviet relations for mid-1950s thru 1960s.  Where do I begin?
          Research Services at the National Archives Tracker

Dear Ms. Collier,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

We suggest that you begin by reviewing the State Department section on NARA’s web site. The primary source for documentation on U.S. foreign policy and events in various countries is the Department of State central file, part of the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59). The records consist of communications back and forth between the Department of State and American diplomatic and consular posts, internal Departmental documentation, communications with other government agencies and private organizations and the public, communications with diplomatic and consular officials from other countries in the United States, and related materials.

Additional documentation may be located in the Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (Record Group 84). Two important series in Record Group 84, General Records, 1940 - 1963 and Historical Consular Files, 1963 - 1973, consist of the files of the U.S. Consular Section for the Soviet Union.

The staff members of the Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RDT2) will be pleased to make the finding aids to these records available to you or your representative in their research room at the National Archives in College Park, MD.  RDT2 is located at 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, near the University of Maryland--College Park campus.

--Textual Research Room (Room 2000) hours are 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

--RDT2’s consultation room hours are 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. No appointment is necessary.

--Records are retrieved Monday through Friday for use in the Textual Research Room at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. We do not pull in advance.

--Prior to your visit, please consult NARA’s  web site at http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/, http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/self-service-copying.html, and http://www.archives.gov/research/start/getting-started.pdf.

We hope that this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful