5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2018 6:14 PM by joan stachnik

Hospital Admission Index

joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi, as I've posted before, I'm looking into my dad's service during WWII, including his medical records. I've come across a reference to a "hospital admission index". Does anyone know what this might be? Does it differ from information in hospital morning reports? Or how to find it for a specific hospital?  I do have the morning reports of one of the hospitals he was at, but there are a few others.  As always thank you for your help. joan

• Re: Hospital Admission Index
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

Please provide us with the citation or reference to which you are referring in order to provide better assistance. Thank you!

joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi Ms Collier, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I had seen the term "hospital admission index" on a WWII research website, as a possible document in a reconstructed service file. That's all the information I have regarding the term. Are you referring to the hospitals I am interested in?  Thanks, joan

Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

We have been checking our records, the Catalog, and the internet for a “hospital admission index” and located a series titled “Hospital Admission Card Files” for the period 1942 through 1954 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112). The cards were used by the Army to produce a data file. The data file is in the custody of National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE). Please contact them via their address cer@nara.gov for access to this file.

We hope this information is helpful.  If this is not what you are looking for, please provide us with more clues so we can continue our search for you.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      joan stachnik Adventurer

Thank you! I will contact the archives you referenced.  joan

joan stachnik Adventurer

HI Ms. Collier, I just wanted to let you know that I was able to obtain my dad's hospital admission card information from the St. Louis Archives. I had contacted the Electronic Records division at College Park, who in turn referred me to the St. Louis Archives. Although the RDE has the data files, they apparently are not easy to search (you can purchase the files) and are in code. The St. Louis branch provides a look-up reference service for individual records. They were able to locate the record by my dad's service number. Information provided in the record included dates of admission/discharge. days of hospitalization, type of injury/diagnosis, cause, and disposition. Thank you again for the help. joan

2 of 2 people found this helpful