3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2018 3:29 PM by Renata Dash

Do records exist of Polish WWII prisoners in Stalin's gulags?

Renata Dash Wayfarer

Hello.  I am trying to find information on my mother's family.  They came from Poland, although I believe they were in Ukraine (for an unknown reason) when they were taken prisoners by Russian forces and transferred to a Siberian Gulag.  Do any records exist for Gulag prisoners?  I know that my grandfather and many aunts and uncles died here (names and dates unknown for the most part, other than my grandfather Wawrzyniec Wójtowicz).  My grandmother and some children (including my mother Aniela) were later "freed" by Anders' Army and were placed in refugee camps in Africa and later India until the War ended. 

• Re: Do records exist of Polish WWII prisoners in Stalin's gulags?
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Ms. Dash,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

The records you seek are not in the custody of the U.S. National Archives. We suggest that you begin by contacting the State Archives of Poland via https://www.archiwa.gov.pl/pl/ and the Federal'naia arkhivnaia sluzhba Rossii (Rosarkhiv) [Federal Archival Service of Russia], ul. Il'inka 12, 103132 Moscow, Russia.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research! 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            Aaron Seltzer Newbie

Dear Ms. Dash,

In addition to the other specified non-NARA resources,if you have not previously done so you may be interested in accessing archival resources concerning Anders' Army at the Hoover Institute Library and Archive. These are records which are currently being digitized and are also currently in the process of a version of their contents being translated from Polish to English.

Hoover Joins The Polish Ministry Of Culture And National Heritage To Digitize And Make Available Thousands Of WWII Gulag…

In addition to information about your grandmother and some of the children, these records may also shed light of their experiences in the gulag and what happened to their families.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Renata Dash Wayfarer

How can I thank you enough for this information?  I am communicating with a

historian in Poland who has been kind enough to help me search into my

family history, I was just telling him that I need to research more with

regard to Ander's Army.  I know that my mother and her family that survived

the gulag (many did not) were able to leave Russia with Ander's Army as I

found a list on line that identifies people who were able to do so, and

they are on that list.  Your email to me came in as I was using Google

Translate to translate my email into Polish to send to my Polish historian

friend.

Your article helps to connect a couple more "dots" for me.  I found a

picture of "a man" in a military uniform with writing on the back of it.

The writing is in Polish, and translated it is written to my mother from

her (older) brother.  A brother I never knew existed, and one that I have

been trying to research, find and understand.  I had felt that perhaps my

family was able to leave because this man, her brother, joined forces with

other Poles to help defeat Hitler.  I still have not been able to verify

(or quite frankly to even find anything), but I will continue to look.

Perhaps I can later post a picture of this "mystery man" and someone might

be able to verify the uniform (which would help keep me moving in the right

direction).  The picture is signed, dated, and indicated as coming from

Italy.

I am fascinated by this website, and I cannot wait to post pictures of

documents of information that I have found pertaining to my parents, in the

hope that perhaps my documents can help lead other people to information on

their own families.  While my mother and her family were imprisoned under

Stalin, my father was in forced labor under Hitler.  I have so much to

figure out and study given how little each of my parent (long deceased)

spoke of their tragic days.  I found many documents and pictures following

their deaths.

Thank you again.