5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 11:03 AM by JACK BETZ

Cadet Nurses

JACK BETZ Wayfarer

Where the Cadet Nursing Corps in WW II considered part of the military? I'm looking for info on Charlotte L. Ulrich; DOB: 4/23/1927; Buffalo, NY;

DOD: 1963; SN:167752 (?). Possibily a WW II Army Nurse

• Re: Cadet Nurses
          Jonathan Deiss Scout

It seems to be up to interpretation, but my understanding is that the uniformed branch of the Public Health Service was 'militarized' during war-time, in a similar manner to how the Merchant Marine and the US Coast Guard change status in war.

I assume you got her data from the Cadet Corps cards that are on ancestry.com.  You may be able to obtain a service record from St. Louis, but I am not sure if the personnel file would be in the Military of Civilian section.  If you submit a request, be sure to use both the Cadet Corps serial number and her SSN if you can find one.  It may also pay-off to ask for a search of the VA  Master Index to see if she received a benefits package from the VA, which file may have some good info, if it exists.

You can send a query to the NARA St Louis facility, where WW-2-era personnel files are curated : stlarr.archives@nara.gov

Let us know if you receive anything.  I am curious to see how it works out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Betz,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

The Cadet Nurse Corps files from 1942-1948, which are part of the records of the Public Health Service (RG 90), contain information such as the name of the cadet; serial number; name of the nursing school or hospital, address of the school, and dates attended; statistical information about the cadet such as age, hometown, marital status, occupation of cadet's father, and how cadet found out about the program; and some post-graduate information such as the name of the university or hospital and what degree earned.  The files are arranged alphabetically by the name of the cadet for those who entered the program in May 1944 and later. These records have been digitized by Ancestry in partnership the National Archives

The cards pertaining to Charlotte L. Ulrich are available in digital form and can be viewed online via Ancestry. There may be a fee for this service. Or you may view these records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              JACK BETZ Wayfarer

Thx for all the replies. I do Graves registration for our AL Post 1528 & her name showed up as a veteran of the army in WW II. I did trace her, but is not clear she is considered a veteran? A second question, can I find Army Vet's who served in peacetime thru NARA records?

Jonathan Deiss Scout

She is probably a veteran.  I suppose obtaining copies of her service file will answer that for certain. 

NARA records encompass all veterans, regardless of time of service.  All you really need to locate a service member is name and service number of SSN.  Once you get a OMPF or service record, to verify the unit(s) he/she served with, you can search records on various units and organizations using a combination of files from all NARA facilities, but especially A2 (College Park, MD facility) where most of the WW1 and WW2 records, with some exceptions, are stored.

1 of 1 people found this helpful