1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 30, 2018 7:34 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Witness Protection


      I have a uncle that was in the Witness Protection and he is now deceased.  Would like to get his military information (DD 214) and his death certificate.

        • Re: Witness Protection
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Rodriguez-Armstrong,


          Thank you for contacting the History Hub!


          His Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) (which include a DD-214) may have been released after leaving the Witness Protection program or after his death. OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Next of kin may request a copy of these records by a GSA Standard Form 180 which should be completed and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Or they may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          2 people found this helpful