1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 10:36 AM by Rebecca Collier

    photo of my Grandfather


      How can I find a photo of my Grandfather in his Air Force Uniform, he served from 1941-1945.  My father was not a participant in my life so my Grandfather was my father figure that taught me to be a good man. 

        • Re: photo of my Grandfather
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Barkley,


          Thank you for contacting the History Hub!


          The "official" photos of individuals, taken by the military, are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photo will be present.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for enlisted men of the U.S. Army and the Army Air Corps who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. You may apply online at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/


          Photographs of U.S. Army Air Forces planes and aircrews are in the custody of NARA's Still Picture Branch (RDSS), Room 5360, The National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD  20740-6001.  Their email address is stillpix@nara.gov and web site is http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          3 people found this helpful