2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2017 11:40 AM by joan stachnik

Information on medical records

joan stachnik Wayfarer

Hi, I'm trying to find more information regarding my dad's medical records during WWII.  His files were destroyed in the 1973 fire at the archives. I've written to the VA, but they referred me back to the Archives. Are there other sources I could check? I do have the morning reports for the hospital he was treated at in England after D-Day (when he was wounded), which had some information. Is there a way to trace back which aid station or evacuation hospital he may have been treated at initially? I know when and at what location he was wounded. And is worth trying the VA again since I now know the hospital he was treated at (including admission and discharge dates) for his D-day injuries? I'm also looking to find out more about another time he was in the hospital when his unit was in Belgium. With  so many men wounded and hospitalized during the war, I realize it may be difficult to find out more. As always, thanks for your help. joan

• Re: Information on medical records
          Glenn Longacre Adventurer

Greetings Joan,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the History Hub.

Regarding finding the aid station and evacuation hospital were your father was initially treated may be difficult. It’s always possible that some information similar to what you’re seeking could be found in the operational records at the National Archives at College Park, MD but it would most likely require you to visit to conduct the type of page-by-page review necessary to locate this type of detailed material. It sounds like you also have contacted the National Archives at St. Louis regarding any morning reports, etc., that may pertain.

If you now know the hospitals where your father was treated you may wish to send an inquiry to the folks at the National Archives at College Park at archives2reference@nara.gov to determine what records for a specific hospital may be available. We also agree that contacting Veterans Affairs with your new information may be useful, but we’re unsure whether the detailed information you’re seeking regarding his evacuation would be listed in their records.

We’re wondering if you may have had any success in locating veterans who served with your father or contacting their families? Many times they may be in the possession of diaries or letters of some sort that might provide the type of information you’re seeking. We’re aware that some of the veterans associations like the 82nd Airborne Association may be able to provide leads on other troopers who served in the same unit as your father, or at least post your inquiry to their membership in some form:  http://www.82ndairborneassociation.org/chapter-locator.html.

Along those lines, Cornelius Ryan, the well-know author of The Longest Day, deposited his extensive manuscript collection with Ohio University in Athens, OH. He conducted extensive interviews with many 82nd troopers. You can find Ohio University’s online finding aid here:  https://www.library.ohio.edu/about/collections/archives-special-collections/manuscript-collections/cornelius-ryan-collection-of-world-war-ii-papers/.

The U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center at Carlisle Barracks, PA maintains a large collection of manuscript collections and printed materials relating to the U.S. Army in World War II. You can search their catalog here: http://usawc.libguides.com/graduates_others.  We did note from a brief review of their catalog one book,

"Doc" Daniel B. McIlvoy, 0-417858 : regimental surgeon 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division

which may be helpful which you could interlibrary loan from your local library: "Doc" Daniel B. McIlvoy, 0-417858 : regimental surgeon 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division (Book, …

Some further information about him can be found on this site: The 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) Memories .

We hope this information may be of some assistance as you continue your research.

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Information on medical records
              joan stachnik Wayfarer

HI Glenn, thank you so much for the reply. It seems that there is a lot of information at the College Park Archives.  Maybe I do need to plan a visit there sometime. I've never thought about trying to find other veterans.  I know my dad kept in touch with some of the men he served with, but it's been so many years since.  The other resources you suggested might be very help and I will check into those. thank you, joan