4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 11:23 AM by Michael Tomko

Deck Logs USS Okinawa

Stephen Cox Newbie

Where can I obtain Deck Logs, Ships Logs and Flight Logs for the USS Okinawa for the period of April 15 to May 15 1975, Operation Frequent Wind

• Re: Deck Logs USS Okinawa
          Michael Tomko Scout

This is very interesting. I did not see the USS Okinawa listed in the Public Catalog.

Is there a Log for the Combat Information Center and fight deck which would list each plane

that launched and landed?

Navy Deck Logs Available in the National Archives Catalog | National Archives

Cara Moore Lebonick Adventurer

Dear Mr. Cox,

Vietnam Era Deck Logs are at the National Archives in Washington, DC. You can read more about how to request these records and what is releasable at their site. I also encourage you to utilize our National Catalog to search for specific series that you are interested in researching.

Thank you!

Best,

Cara Moore Lebonick

Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Cox,

Navy Deck Logs for the Vietnam War are located at the National Archives in College Park, NOT at the National Archives in DC as previously posted.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Michael Tomko Scout

You may want to request the ACTION REPORT or PATROL REPORT. The WW2 submarine Patrol Reports are on line.

I requested a Navy Patrol report from the Vietnam era and was only provided with the Vessels History.

I also have a FOIA for the 3 days of the Navy Deck Log of the USS Nimitz on Nov 14, 2004, when it was involved with the reported UFO off the coast of California. It went to the Chief of Naval Operations, Heritage Command ,and now back to Pacific Command. If the Deck Log has nothing toward the incident, then I will FOIA the Action Report and Event Memos. The deck log should also have the coordinates of the Nimitz and it's destroyer screen. This would be a good event to post as proactive disclosure in the electronic reading room. The Naval gun camera footage has already been released on national television. It would be interesting to see what the speed and radar track data reveals.

NARA should post some of the Naval Deck Logs and Action Reports from Frequent Wind, since it was basically the evacuation of the Vietnam embassy and end of the war. Wonder if they really got all the POW's back?