1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 8:03 AM by Rachael Salyer

I need images and video of  the U.S. Army in the European Theater Of Operations in 1944 and 1945

Stephen Olin Newbie

Last year I was able to find images and video for the above and now I come up with almost nothing.  How do I make a valid search?  I also need the National Archive no. so I can know that it is royalty free.

• Re: I need images and video of  the U.S. Army in the European Theater Of Operations in 1944 and 1945
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Olin,

Thank you for sharing your inquiry with the History Hub.

In general, the National Archives Catalog is the best place to start your online search. You can use the Advanced Search features to narrow results by Record Group number, date range, type of archival materials, etc. You can also use synonyms and broader or narrower search terms to get different results. Additionally, you can contact individual reference units at the National Archives to ask for further assistance (see examples below).

Regarding your question about the U.S. Army in the European Theater of Operations, the series World War II Operations Reports in National Archives Record Group (RG) 407: Records of the Adjutant General’s Office is an example of a series that contains some records related to the European Theater of Operations, and there may be photographs interspersed with the textual records. These records  are in the custody of the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in College Park, MD (Archives II). You can contact them directly at archives2reference@nara.gov for further information. Please include as much information (e.g. dates, unit numbers) as possible in your inquiry.

The series Photographs of American Military Operations, 1942-1945 from RG 208: Records of the Office of War Information is one example of the photographic records among our holdings. These records are in the custody of the Still Pictures Branch at Archives II. Please contact their reference staff at stillpix@nara.gov with questions about this series or other photographic holdings.

One further example is the series Moving Images Relating to World War II from RG 111: Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer, which is in the custody of the Moving Images and Sound Recordings Branch at Archives II. You can contact their reference staff at mopix@nara.gov with questions about this series and other moving images among our holdings.

Finally, regarding your question about royalties, most government records are in the public domain; however, some of our records may have donor, copyright, or other restrictions. If the records have been described in the National Archives Catalog, restrictions will be noted in the individual descriptions.

Thank you, again, for posting your question to the History Hub, and best of luck with your ongoing research.

3 of 3 people found this helpful