1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 11:35 AM by Rebecca Collier

How can I find documents related to the OSS "black" radio station on Saipan?

Lucas Simonds Newbie

I am looking for documents related to the OSS "black" radio station that operated briefly on Saipan in 1945. While I have some information to go on, my unfamiliarity with the NARA classification system seems to be a problem. My office has a reproduction of a document made back in the late 90s, and on that is a handwritten note that says "R226 E139 B188 F2500." I assume this means Record Group 226, Entry 139, Box 188, Folder 2500. However, my searches in the catalog have yet to turn up anything, and I have yet to figure out how to search for anything more specific than the record group. The document we have seems to be part of a larger report, and also makes references to attachments, so I would very much like to see what else might be in that box or folder, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. I apologize for what seems like a pretty basic question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: How can I find documents related to the OSS "black" radio station on Saipan?
          Rebecca Collier Scout

Dear Mr. Simonds,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub.

We searched the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (RG 226) and located the report you seek. The report is titled “History of Blossom Radio (Green’s Project)” by Major Richard G. Pratt that describes the operation on Saipan. It is part of larger report titled “WASH-MO-RES-12: Asiatic War Diary -- Washington/Far East, 1945” [RG 226, Entry A1 139 - Washington/Field Station Records (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6267087), Box 188, Folder 2500]. Another copy of the report is located in RG 226, Entry UD 92 -- COI/OSS Central Files, 1941-1946 (https://catalog.archives.gov/id/595653), Box 605, Folder 1 (part 1 of 3) -- 33337 “#3 The Saipan Installation.”

To request copies of this report, please contact the Textual Reference Archives II Branch in College Park, MD via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is useful. Thank you, again, for posting your question on the History Hub, and best of luck with your search!

4 of 4 people found this helpful