3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 9:06 PM by Shelly Yomano

Where can I find: "Dept of State General Records, RG 59, 393.1123 Reginald Rowlatt affidavit".

Shelly Yomano Newbie

Trying to track down this record, but I am unfamiliar with how the classification system works. My citation is merely: "Dept of State General Records, RG 59, 393.1123 Reginald Rowlatt affidavit". This pertains to the May 1923 Lincheng train robbery and hostage taking in China.

• Re: Where can I find: "Dept of State General Records, RG 59, 393.1123 Reginald Rowlatt affidavit".
          Michael Chornesky Adventurer

Ms. Yomano,

Thank you for your question to History Hub!  Your citation above references a decimal from the (RG 59) State Department’s Central Decimal File (CDF).  These records are arranged in segments running anywhere between 5 and 20 years between 1910 and 1963 with records corresponding to the individual decimals.  These decimals in turn refer to specific sorts of records generated by the State Department (see this link for more information).  Given the date and decimal you provide, a search of the 1910-1929 CDF turned up boxes 4644-4646 among those records, which all feature the 393.1123 decimal designation along with the word “Lincheng,” so these records are likely what you are seeking relating to the train robbery in question.

Mr. Reginald Rowlatt’s name did not appear in a cursory search of these records (which number several hundred pages within these three boxes), but his name did turn up in a search of the name index to these decimal files, specifically under the decimal 811.111 corresponding to a Visa (travel) file (contained in separate records from the CDFs) dated June 17, 1929.  If this does not relate to the particular information you seek regarding Mr. Rowlatt and his involvement in the Lincheng robbery, feel free to disregard this line of inquiry, but this may be another avenue of investigation for you if you seek information regarding Mr. Rowlatt’s involvement with the State Department.

Regardless, your next step will be to contact the Textual Records branch at Archives II in College Park, Maryland by e-mailing archives2reference@nara.gov.  Archivists more familiar with these records can conduct a more thorough search of the materials cited above and either prepare pull slips for you if you want to visit the textual research room to examine these records in person or narrow down your search and give you an estimate for a reproduction of pages or folders in a set of boxes at a rate of $.80 per page if you are unable to make the trip to College Park.  If neither of these options prove feasible for you, they can also refer you to paid researchers in the area who can visit the research room in your stead and examine these records for you.

I hope this information assists you in your search and wish you the best of luck!

Thanks to
          Lauren Van Zandt and Rebecca Collier for their helpful feedback on this response.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Where can I find: "Dept of State General Records, RG 59, 393.1123 Reginald Rowlatt affidavit".
            Michael Chornesky Adventurer

Ms, Yomano,

This link will be of additional assistance to you as you dig further into Department of State and American foreign relations records as well.