0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2017 9:08 PM by techhistorynerd

Usage restrictions on Government films - source of "Undetermined" status?

techhistorynerd Adventurer

I'm a little confused as to the reasons and implications of the restrictions statements on some of the films which are uploaded to the ARC database.  For example, this film:

TESTS AND DEMONSTRATIONS OF ORDNANCE MATERIEL [1918 -1919]:  https://catalog.archives.gov/id/24703

appears to be created by a government agency, yet its usage restriction is:

Use Restriction(s):  Undetermined

A naive interpretation of that annotation would seem to indicate that there is some potential of an active copyright or other usage restriction on the movie, despite both its age and authorship.  I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what the potential basis for restriction would be in a case like this, unless perhaps it is simply a matter of having to label the movie's status as undetermined due to lack of staff time to verify there is no non-government-produced content used in the movies?  If it is some other issue at play, who would potential re-users need to talk to for an apparently all-government-produced film?

I did find the Use Restriction Status | National Archives page but it seems to be a general documentation of the catalog tag and doesn't offer any additional insight into the specifics of "Undetermined" as applied to films...