3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 9:58 AM by Gene Morris

    WPA projects Altoona Pa


      We had several WPA projects in our City of Altoona.  I would like to see a list of projects and or photographs of the projects

        • Re: WPA projects Altoona Pa

          Mr. Coy:


          There is a list available on microfilm that lists WPA projects in all states. This list is available from us as three microfilm publications. The publications are broken down into three separate indexes known as the T-935, T-936, and T-937 indexes. T-935 covers the years 1935 to 1937. T-936 covers 1938 only. T-937 covers 1939 to 1942. Each index is arranged alphabetically by state and thereunder by county, and thereunder by municipality. Blair County, Pennsylvania, would be on T-935 roll 57, T-936 roll 11, and T-937 roll 14.


          You also may first wish to check with the state archives and other colleges and universities in the state to see if they already have copies of these indexes.


          You can also view these rolls in the Microfilm Reading Room at our College Park, Maryland, facility. Please see: https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park for more information on doing research in College Park.


          Our regional archive in Philadelphia does not have copies of these rolls of microfilm.


          National Archives microfilm publications are available on microfilm or to be digitized and placed on a DVD for $125 per roll/disk. There is a form you can use to request copies of microfilm available online  at: https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/microfilm-order-form.pdf  You can send in the NATF Form 36 with your payment.  If you wish to pay by using a MasterCard or VISA credit card, you should return the form (noting type of credit card, account number, expiration date, and your signature) to the National Archives Trust Fund, Cashier (BCT), 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD  20740. Your account will be verified before the rolls/DVDs are shipped.  Alternatively, you may order online by going to: http://www.archives.gov/shop/ and clicking on "Request & Order Reproductions Online." Select "microfilm." You can type in the microfilm publication number, such as T936, and click on "search." A listing of the publication title(s) will appear. Click on the name of the publication.  That will take you to a summary page.  On the right hand side of the page will be a pdf file. Click on "View Important Publication Details." to view the contents of the microfilm rolls. In the middle of the summary page, you can click on "Continue to Order" to purchase the rolls in which you are interested.


          For photos of WPA projects, you will want to contact our Still Pictures unit. Their email address is stillpix@nara.gov

          4 people found this helpful