9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 3:13 PM by mtom22

If NARA says they can't find something, now what?

Bill Streifer Adventurer

NARA has already said they can't find TASS's English-language interview of Admiral Amel’ko, a Soviet naval commander, among the records of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. (see attached) Where else can I look and how can I request that NARA expand their search?

Admiral Amel’ko interview TASS in English.png

• Re: If NARA says they can't find something, now what?
          Jonathan Deiss Scout

As good as they are at answering questions on the HistoryHub... the NARA reference staff has little interest or investment in making sure our research projects produce results.  They will only do the bare minimum, as far as letting you know if they have an object or document.  So, don't rely on their word. We have to look for ourselves.  But, I'm sure you already know this.

For one thing, I looked in the catalog for this can't even locate a Record Group identification for the "Arms Control and Disarmament Agency" in there.  There are descriptions of ACDA records in other record groups, but it isn't described as it's own RG in the catalog, which is weird.  I suppose it was an element of the State Department at one time.

All I could find was this : https://catalog.archives.gov/id/10485323

I suspect you'll have to request the Amel'ko interview be declassified, if it still is a security classified file.  Where did the citation (the attachment you provided) come from originally?

1 person found this helpful