2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 3:47 PM by Kathy Haut

Mexico-America War Company F MD

Kathy Haut Newbie

Are there digitized records for soldiers from Company F, Maryland who fought in the Mexico-America War, particularly pension records for soldiers? I am working on a DAR application for an ancestor of Jeremiah Baker named William Henry Baker. I have found him in the ancestry records for the Old Soldiers Home in Hampton, VA and he is buried in the national cemetery in Hampton. I am asking can I find those records online or do I need to go to the National Archives in DC?  Thanks. Kathy

• Re: Mexico-America War Company F MD
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Ms. Haut,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub.

The records you are interested in are in the custody of the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in Washington, DC (Archives I). The “Index to the Carded Records of Soldiers who Served in Volunteer Organizations during the Mexican War” (National Archives Microfilm Publication M616) has been digitized, and you can find more information here in the National Archives Catalog. When we searched the index, we were able to locate this record for 2nd Lieut. William H. Baker who served in Hughes’ Maryland and District of Columbia Volunteers, Company F.

That index corresponds to this series, and although these records are not available online, there is a link in the National Archives Catalog description where you can “order copies of compiled military service files,” so you wouldn’t necessarily need to visit the National Archives in order to view the records.

If you have further questions about the index and its related series, you can contact the Textual Reference Branch at Archives I directly; their email address is archives1reference@nara.gov.

You can also find more information about military service during the Mexican War here on our website.

Thank you, again, for sharing your question with us, and best of luck with your ongoing search.

2 of 2 people found this helpful