3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 7:22 AM by Jonathan Deiss

Military bounty land records

Donna Newman Newbie

Pleasant Statham received 160 acres of military bounty land for his War of 1812 service, which was awarded in 1819. He died shortly thereafter and his widow, Polly, and his other heirs were granted another 160 acres of land for his service in 1835. I submitted a request for Pleasant's military bounty land record, specifying his widow's name and the warrant number for the grant she received in the designated fields and including pertinent details in the "additional details" section of the online request form. However, what I received was four pages, the only noteworthy one being his honorable discharge statement, and nothing on his widow or her application. Presumably she had to apply for this bounty land and prove that she was Pleasant's widow, in which case there should be a record. How do I go about obtaining a copy of it and, even more important, how do I avoid going through the request process and expense without ending up with what I was already sent?

• Re: Military bounty land records
          Jonathan Deiss Adventurer

It appears that the soldier applied for land, patented it, and then his widow applied for land and also patented it.  That is a bt odd, which may explain some of the reason you haven't received all the files.

Did the soldier also serve in the Georgia militia?  There may be two men with the same name who served unless he rendered multiple terms of service.  There is a pension application under that name.

You may need to hire an independent researcher to perform some research on your behalf.  There are many names on NARA's researchers list.  You'll need to find someone with experience researching the War of 1812, and land records.

Donna Newman Newbie

There are two Pleasant Stathams but this one enlisted in the US Army from Virginia and served 5 years. He was married to Polly. The other was his nephew, served with the Georgia Militia and was married to Nancy; I have his pension file.

I do know that the first Pleasant's land in Arkansas was sold for taxes. As far as I can tell he never lived there and, in fact, was deceased by the time his land was put up for public sale, something I understand was a common occurrence in Arkansas territory at the time - taxes would be levied, due and the land seized before the out-of-territory landowners could receive and respond to the notification.

Hiring a researcher isn't an option. Would these records be available at one of the NARA regional centers?

Jonathan Deiss Adventurer

The records are not at the regional facilities.  Best of luck to you.