3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 12:20 PM by marita

Looking for relatives of a fallen WW 2 soldier

Pascal Dupont Newbie

Hello, my name is Pascal Dupont. I've adopted the grave of PFC Anthony A Deramo, 330th Inf Regt, 83rd Inf Div. He's buried in Belgium. I would like to contact the relatives to tell them that he will not be forgotten.

Sincerely

Pascal

• Re: Looking for relatives of a fallen WW 2 soldier
          Rebecca Collier Scout

Dear Mr. Dupont,

Thank you for contacting the History Hub!

The information you seek may be contained in his burial case file (later called the Individual Deceased Personnel File or IDPF). Burial case files from 1915-1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them regarding access to these records. Their email address is stl.archives@nara.gov.

We wish you the best of luck with your search!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for relatives of a fallen WW 2 soldier
            marita Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Dupont,

Should you need more information, you might also do the following.

- Have a look at the website www.fieldsofhonor-database.com

It states that Anthony came from Pittock, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and that he had four brothers. So this is where your search could start, for example:

- Send a mail or letter to the newspaper Pittsburgh Post-Gazette with a request to publish a small article about your search for relatives. Of course, I don't know whether the newspaper is willing to do this, but it is worth a try.

- Another search could be through the Yellow Pages: www.pittsburgh.eztouse.com where you can enter his last name and see whether there are businesses with the same name. You could write to them and ask whether they are related to Anthony or whether they know people who are related to him.

- The same applies to the White Pages: www.whitepages.com.

When you enter Deramo, Allegheny County, you will see a few results. (There are Dutch adopters who write to hundreds of people to find the relatives of their American soldier. And I am sure that adopters from Belgium and France do the same.)

When I searched for relatives of my two soldiers (the American Cemetery in Margraten, the Netherlands), it took me about a year to find them. Sometimes it takes only a few months, and sometimes it can take much longer.

The search is really worth it.

I wish you all the best with your search!

Marita

-

1 of 1 people found this helpful