1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 8, 2017 11:50 AM by Cherkea Howery

    Final payment voucher for pension


      My Revolutionary War ancestor, William Wilson, from Allegheny County, PA has a final payment voucher on Fold3.

      This card has a star above his name and I know his date of death is 1845. I would like to know where to get this file and what is the cost?

      I understand it might list relatives.

      Thank you.

        • Re: Final payment voucher for pension

          Thank you for contacting History Hub about your query.


          In order to verify whether the payment was received and if vouchers exist, you would need to check the Pittsburgh agency files for the Third Auditor’s series (Entry 722) in the Accounting Officers of the Department of the Treasury (RG 217). These files are located at the National Archives in Washington, DC. I was able to find envelopes for three William Wilsons, two in Pittsburgh.  One could be the ancestor you are looking for; however, the only relative listed is a William Wilson, Jr.  Reference staff can be contacted at archives1reference@nara.gov.  They will be able to provide you an estimate for the cost of copying these or other records related to your ancestor.


          This article about tracking payments is quite helpful for understanding these records.


          Best of luck with your research.


          2 people found this helpful