1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 7:58 AM by Rachael Salyer

    How to access or order records from 24.3.3 Records relating to naval apprentices


      Specifically "Records concerning discharges and desertions, 1882-1920" for someone who deserted in November 1887"

      My great grandfather's military record show him listed as a deserting and I am looking for additional records or information.

        • Re: How to access or order records from 24.3.3 Records relating to naval apprentices
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Gray,


          Thank you for sharing your question with the History Hub.


          The information you included in your question appears to be from the National Archives’ Guide to Federal Records entry for Record Group 24: Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel. In general, this guide provides an overview of the types of records we hold, but it does not provide detailed information like specific series titles. To identify specific series in RG 24, we recommend you search the National Archives Catalog. The “advanced search” feature can be used to narrow results down by Record Group. For example, a quick search of the Catalog for “discharges and desertions” in RG 24 yields these results, and a search for “apprentices” in RG 24 yields these results.


          Some records relevant to your search may have been digitized and may be available through Fold3.com, which can be accessed free of charge from any National Archives research facility. The original records are in the custody of the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in Washington DC (Archives I). You can contact them directly at archives1reference@nara.gov with questions about the records.


          Finally, because the Guide to Federal Records description you referenced also includes several Microfilm Publication numbers, you can search the Microfilm Catalog for further information about the records. Microfilm Publication T1098 is the “Index to Rendezvous Reports, Before and After the Civil War, 1846-1861, 1865-1884,” for example.


          Thank you, again, for posting your question to the History Hub, and best of luck with your ongoing research.

          2 people found this helpful