Seeking great-parents naturalization papers

My great grandparents came to US from Italy after 1900.  I need to find their naturalization papers/marriage certificates, anything I can get my hands on to apply for Italian citizenship.

  • It is impossible to give you any specific help, without knowing the names, birth years, and where they lived in the US  of the people you are seeking?

  • Dear Gail Carberry,

    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. Researchers should contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to determine if records from lower courts are available. In certain cases county court naturalization records maintained by the National Archives are available as microfilm publications.  Records from state and local courts are often at state archives or county historical societies.


    Beginning September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. It took time for the lower courts to let go of the practice, so researchers may need to look at lower courts if the National Archives does not maintain a record of naturalization from the early-mid 20th century.


    In general, naturalization was a two-step process* that took a minimum of five years. After residing in the United States for two years, an alien could file a "declaration of intention" ("first papers") to become a citizen. After three additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization" (”second papers”). After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court.  [*Exceptions can include cases of derivative citizenship, processes for minor aliens 1824-1906, and special consideration for veterans.]


    If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, your email should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


    We suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, Immigrant Records at the National Archives, Naturalization Records, Census Records, and Dual Citizenship Assistance - Frequently Asked Questions pages as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers.


    For any family members born in the United States, we suggest that you contact the State Archives or Health Department to request a search for birth, marriage and/or death certificates. 


    Also, the FamilySearch Research wikis for United States Genealogy and Italy Genealogy may be helpful. 


    We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!