3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 9:54 AM by Cara Moore Lebonick

Can I request both sets of records for my relative who served in two different regiments during the war?

Ryan Ball Newbie

My great great grandfather served in the 6th Wisconsin as part of the Iron Brigade and apparently served in the US 7th Infantry for a short time as well. I would like to request both sets of records and was wondering if that can be done at the same time?

• Re: Can I request both sets of records for my relative who served in two different regiments during the war?
          Cara Moore Lebonick Adventurer

Dear Mr. Ball,

The records of Civil War military service are all available at the National Archives in DC. You will be able to request all records of service at the same time. Some of the records you’re interested in may be available on Fold3.com, but if you’d like to view the originals, you should contact the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in DC. You may reach them by email at archives1reference@nara.gov While you will be able to view the records on the same visit, there are rules about pulls which may means that you will have to request the series separately with only one section at a time.

You may order copies from the website for further info, too: https://www.archives.gov/research/order

Thank you!

Best,

Cara Moore

National Archives at St. Louis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Can I request both sets of records for my relative who served in two different regiments during the war?
              Ryan Ball Newbie

Dear Cara,

Thank you for your help.  I will attempt to order again online.  I have

received some of my great great grandfathers records from the 6th Wisconsin

but I think he was transferred to the Regular Army after the battle of

Antietam.  I believe he was transferred in November 1862 to the 7th US

Infantry and then left them after the battle of Fredericksburg in December

1862.  He then went back to the 6th Wisconsin?  I say this because in the

packet I received the muster roles had cards for after that battle and at

the end of the war in Kentucky in 1865.  I am basically trying to prove he

served the entire war. The state of Wisconsin records only show him serving

until November 1862 when he was transferred to the Regular Army.  I am

assuming he served the whole war because he did receive a military pension

for his disability?  Is there anyway on the form to request that all

records related to that person be sent?  Here is the info on him that I am

requesting;  Hopefully this will be enough to answer my question?  Thank

you for your time!

Sincerely,

Ryan R Ball

Ball , MichaelBATTLE UNIT NAME:6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry

<https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=UWI0006RI>

SIDE:UnionCOMPANY:DSOLDIER'S RANK IN:PrivateSOLDIER'S RANK OUT:PrivateALTERNATE

NAME:FILM NUMBER:M559 ROLL 2PLAQUE NUMBER:NOTES:

Ball , MichaelBATTLE UNIT NAME:7th Regiment, US Infantry (Regular Army)

<https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=UUR0007RI>

SIDE:UnionCOMPANY:DSOLDIER'S RANK IN:SOLDIER'S RANK OUT:ALTERNATE NAME:FILM

NUMBER:M233 ROLL 27PLAQUE NUMBER:NOTES: