5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2017 2:12 PM by Bill Streifer

Where is the USS Pueblo map?

Bill Streifer Adventurer

In January 1968, the USS Pueblo and crew was seized by the North Koreans. I remembered seeing a map showing the route the Pueblo took prior to its capture, so I Googling the Internet like crazy, Nothing. Then, when I realized that Lyndon Johnson was President at the time, I contacted the Johnson Presidential Library. Their response: "We can't find the map." Still nothing.

So I went back to see if I could locate that map again. When I give it a good look, I realized it wasn't a Navy map or an NSA/CIA map. It was a hydrographic map since the Pueblo pretended to be an AGER (Auxiliary, General Environmental Research) ship perform hydrographic experiments.

When I discovered that NARA had Records of the Defense Mapping Agency [DMA], RG 56 (456.X) whose predecessor agency included the Department of the Navy, DOD, U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office (USNOO), OCNO (1962-72), I suspect the map might be found there. According to an officer aboard the Pueblo, "A blank chart from the U.S. Hydrographic Office had been used for our track chart." Obviously, the map wasn't seized by North Korea, unless the North Koreans discovered it and used it as evidence that the Pueblo was a spy ship.

How do I locate, and obtain, a copy of that map without visiting NARA?

I have attached the map (the labeling removed), which might help locate the original.

Pueblo route from Bucher's My Story.jpg

• Re: Where is the USS Pueblo map?
          Scout

Hi Bill,

By researching Desert Storm, I have found there is an EXCALIBUR Archivist Project, through the US Army

Research Lab, using Cray Super Computers. It is a Tape media, with special commands and the User Guide is online.

The US Army Research Lab is Headquarter in MD, but they have branches listed on wiki. Also a branch in Orlando Florida by CENTCOM, which is most likely NASA Kennedy Space Center.  They have a branch at NASA Glenn in Ohio.

They scan everything before it goes to NARA. They have been doing it since 1994. The US Army Research Lab was activated in 1992. I wish I had one super computer, because it would help me find the missing Desert Storm NBC Logs. But they cost 500 thousand dollars. Your map is most likely digitized, and at one of the Cray sites, if NARA had access then you could find it. Do you remember the Legend of Excalibur?

Scout

Bill,

The problem with the EXCALIBUR Project,is that it may brake the "chain of custody" to NARA.

Records and data can be scanned and then lost or destroyed.  NARA does not receive the complete evidence.

So their archive is incomplete and does not portray the actual evidence of history.

NARA should have access to the Cray Super Computer that digitizes and stores all the media.

Imagine all the things NARA never received? The chain of custody is important and is always a

major legal matter.  The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency does a lot of ocean topography

and research. But the map was most likely scanned into Excalibur or a Naval equivalent.

I will search the web for the Naval Cray sites.

https://insidehpc.com/2015/10/army-unveils-excalibur-cray-xc40-supercomputer/

United States Army Research Laboratory - Wikipedia

Scout

The Map may be buried in stone, and only one chosen person can remove it.

NARA has a new Charter for Change, and organizational structure which has a goal

to digitize the holdings by 2019.  The only problem, is that everything has been scanned to

the Crays since 1994.  The physical records have already been scanned, then shipped to NARA.

Just think of all the information that has never made it to the Archive? But I still have hope

for the future. The Legend of Excalibur is also interesting.

Excalibur - Wikipedia

Scout

Army Research Lab Sites, why isn't Orlando Florida listed? Near CENTCOM, and Kennedy Space Center?

United States Army Research Laboratory - Wikipedia

Naval Research Lab

United States Naval Research Laboratory - Wikipedia

Which one is better?