1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 3:12 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

    How can I find the father of Capt. Gibbons Allensworth, Sr.?


      I need the father of Capt. Gibbons Allensworth, Sr. born in 1835. Obituaries do not list his parents?  Any suggestions?

        • Re: How can I find the father of Capt. Gibbons Allensworth, Sr.?

          Dear Ms. Mitchell,


          Thank you for sharing your question with the History Hub.


          You may find some useful information in Captain Allensworth’s military records. The National Archives’ website Genealogy Research in Military Records outlines the types of records (e.g. service or pension records) we hold. You can contact the Textual Reference Branch at the National Archives in Washington, DC (Archives I) directly at archives1reference@nara.gov with questions about accessing these records.


          Additionally, you may wish to search federal Census Records for information about Captain Allensworth and his family. The Textual Reference Branch at Archives I can also answer any questions you may have about these records.


          Beyond those resources, you may also have some success looking at state, county, and/or local records. Libraries, historical societies, and county clerks, for example, may have records of births, deaths, marriages, land deeds, etc. that might provide the information you are looking for.


          Best of luck with your ongoing search, and thank you, again, for posting your question to the History Hub.


          2 people found this helpful