1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 3:59 PM by Research Services at the National Archives

c@o canal board of director

stephen hosmer Wayfarer

I am looking for some information on the building of the C&O canal monument which looks like a obelisk which stands at the Canal bridge/ wisconsin bridge, in Georgetown.   Can anyone find me information about the monument ?

Dear Mr. Hosmer,

Thank you for contacting the Department of Interior Library for research assistance. I have attached a document that I hope helps; it is authored by Harlan Unrau and on page 226, references the November 27, 1850 decision to build a monument.

It has a footnote that references its source as Proceedings of the President and Board of Directors [of the C&O Canal], which are housed at the National Archives.

If this is not what you're looking for or need further assistance, please let me know.

Best,

Shannon

• Re: c@o canal board of director
          Research Services at the National Archives Scout

Mr. Hosmer,

We have edited and added links to the information provided to you from the Department of the Interior. These records are in Record Group 79, Records of the National Park Service, and are at the National Archives at College Park, Maryland (Archives 2). Please also see this previous thread regarding the obelisk, which originated with a similar question from June. For assistance with finding the specific records you seek, please contact archives2reference@nara.gov.

“Dear Mr. Hosmer,

Here is a link to a document that I hope helps; it is authored by Harlan Unrau and on page 226, references the November 27, 1850 decision to build a monument.

It has a footnote that references its source as Proceedings of the President and Board of Directors [of the C&O Canal], which are housed at the National Archives. The full reference to the monument is on page 384 of volume 8 (previously vol. H), which reads as follows:

“Recorded- that a marble slab or block of suitable dimensions be prepared and placed in a conspicuous position in the masonry of, or on the line of the canal, with the names of the President, Directors, the names of the Officers of the Company, the names of the State Agents and the date of the completion of the canal to Cumberland inscribed upon it. The cost of the same to be paid out of the Contingent fund.”

Compiled by Alex Champion, with input from Michael Chornesky and Alan Walker

2 of 2 people found this helpful